Charge and Work
To submit a recommended budget for action to the PLA board of directors; to advise the PLA board on all fiscal matters of the division, including the fiscal implications of the division's publications and programs.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Each year, review initial and subsequent drafts of the PLA fiscal year budget, making recommendations for revision and presenting a final draft to the PLA Board of Directors for approval
- Become familiar with ALA financial operations and policies in order to advise PLA on its position as an internal division
- Advise PLA staff and the PLA Board of Directors on strategies to use revenue, such as that raised through fundraising, interest income and general operating surpluses, to sustain or develop new initiatives
- Increase PLA’s diverse fundraising and sustainability efforts, including individual giving (annual appeals, planned gifts, major gifts), grant writing, and earned income through publications and events
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (4 hours/year plus travel time)
- Attend virtual meetings scheduled 1–2 times annually (2–3 hours/year)
- Review and respond to emails and budget drafts (2–3 hours/year)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Ability to understand financial statements
- Experience in creating, reviewing, and/or managing budgets
- Knowledge of financial policy and procedures for non-profits
- Ability to work cooperatively with other committee members
Displaying active committee roster as of 08/22/2019. Last retrieved on 08/22/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The Budget & Finance Committee consists of members appointed from the membership at large serving 2 year terms and led by a chair.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.