Charge and Work
To select annually a recipient or recipients of the New Leaders Travel Grant, which is an award designed to enable PLA members new to the profession and who have not had the opportunity to attend a major PLA continuing education event in the last five years to do so; to review criteria, forms and procedures for awarding the New Leaders Travel Grant and propose recommendations to the PLA awards committee as necessary; to assist in the promotion of the New Leaders Travel Grant and encourage people to apply.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- For the jury chair and members:
- Stay apprised of the timeline in which PLA staff opens and closes the nomination application webpage via notices on PLA’s website and PLA members-only emails
- Review award applications and supporting materials
- Monitor award criteria and, if necessary, recommend changes in criteria or the jury’s charge
- Increase awareness of the award and the number of applicants by spreading the word about the call for nominations
- For the jury chair:
- Communicate meeting plans with the members of the jury
- Lead virtual deliberation meetings
- Vote on a winner in case of a tie among jury members
- Contact the award’s winner(s) and confirm their acceptance of award
- Complete jury selection form and send same to jury’s staff liaison
Expected time commitment:
- Review award applications and supporting materials (1–3 hours/year)
- Attend virtual deliberation meetings (2–3 hours/year)
- Respond to emails (1–2 hours/year)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Experience working as a member of a virtual team
- Ability to critically analyze award submissions and eligibility criteria
- Strong communication skills
Displaying active committee roster as of 08/19/2019. Last retrieved on 08/19/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The New Leaders Travel Grant Jury consists of members appointed from the membership at large serving 2 year terms and led by a chair.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.