The Public Library Association enhances the development and effectiveness of public library staff and public library services. This mission positions PLA to:
- Focus its efforts on serving the needs of its members
- Address issues which affect public libraries
- Commit to quality public library services that benefit the general public
Core Purpose (2018)
To strengthen public libraries and their contribution to communities.
Core Organizational Values (2018)
PLA is dedicated to:
- Visionary Leadership
- Member Focus
- Integrity and Transparency
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Excellence and Innovation
PLA Goals (2018)
- Transformation: PLA advances public libraries’ transformation from a library focus to a community focus, to meet the specific needs of people and communities.
- Leadership: PLA builds and supports leadership for public libraries that is reflective of the needs of each community and the profession.
- Advocacy and Awareness: PLA leads in public library advocacy and influencing perceptions of public libraries.
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice: PLA advocates for equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice in order to enable every member, library, and community group to fully and equally participate in a society mutually shaped to meet their needs.
- Organizational Excellence: PLA is entrepreneurial, resilient, and successful in the sustaining and growing of resources to advance its mission and work.
From PLA Strategic Plan 2018–2022, approved by the PLA Board of Directors, June 2018.