Using Social Media and Mobile Technology to Engage Teens
- Day 1: Connecting with Today’s Learners
- How today’s learners are different
- An overview of the tools you can use to connect with them
- Self-assessment: Where do you and your library currently stand with this population and your outreach to them?
- Day 2: Social Media Tools
- Introducing social media tools
- “Play time” with social media
- How to engage and stay current
- Day 3: Mobile Apps
- Overview of mobile technology—Android, Apple, and others
- How teens and college students use their mobile devices and apps
- How libraries are using mobile apps to connect with teens
- Staying current with apps
- Day 4: Tying it All Together
- Building programs and library instruction based around social media and mobile
- Using social media and mobile technology as tools for assessment
- Using social media and mobile technology as tools for library marketing and advocacy
After participating in this workshop, you will have a better understanding of how to connect with teens through social media. This will give you the ability to enhance your outreach to teens through both programming and services.
Jennifer LaGarde is the lead librarian for New Hanover Schools and the teacher librarian at Myrtle Grove Middle School in Wilmington, North Carolina. She is also a National Board Certified School Librarian. The Advocacy and Governance Chair for the North Carolina School Library Media Association, she was a founding member of NCSLMA's Young Adult Book Award and co-manages the NCSLMA website. In 2011 she was awarded the "I Love My Librarian Award" by the ALA, Carnegie Corporation of New York and The New York Times, and was also named a Mover & Shaker by Library Journal. Author of the blog The Adventures of Library Girl, she proves you don’t have to be a superhero to teach Middle School, but having a cape sure helps.
Date(s) & Time(s)
November 12, 13, 14, and 15
$250 for Individual Registration; $500 for Groups of 3 or More
Dan Freeman, Online Learning Manager, ALA Editions/ALA TechSource