Serving Refugee Populations in the Library: Who are the Karen, the Bantu, the Meskhetian Turks?
Refugees arrive in the United States from all many different countries, bringing diverse backgrounds and experiences, possessing a variety of strengths, and encountering a myriad of challenges as they adjust to their new life in the United States. Join Homa Naficy, Hartford Public Library, Director of Multicultural Services, and Sanja Bebic, Center for Applied Linguistics, Director, Cultural Orientation Resource Center as they lead a discussion on how libraries can help ease the transition of refugees and become a home away from home for new arrivals in your community. This webinar is presented by the ALA Ethnic and Mulitcultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT).
- Learn how the refugee resettlement process works
- Find out about refugee resettlements in your community
- Learn about how the experiences of refugees differ from that of other immigrants
- Learn more about the esoteric cultures of many of our refugee communities, such as the Karen, the Somali Bantu, the Meskhetian Turks
- Find ways that your library help ease the transition of refugees into the community.
- Homa Naficy, Hartford Public Library, Director of Multicultural Services,
- Sanja Bebic, Center for Applied Linguistics, Director, Cultural Orientation Resource Center
How to Register
Questions regarding registration should be directed to ALA’s Membership and Customer Service department at 1-800-545-2433 x5.
This webcast requires a computer, internet connection and web browser. Please be sure to access the session from a computer with speakers or headphones. We suggest that groups, especially larger groups, plan ahead to use a LCD/LED projector and speakers capable of amplifying the audio in the room to project the webcast.
If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before, please test your connection in advance of the session, by visiting: http://connectpro72403849.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
You may also get a quick overview of the platform by visiting: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview.
- ALA member: $20
- Nonmember: $25
- Group: $120*
*For purposes of group registration, a group is defined as people gathering in one room at one location to watch the webcast. We suggest that groups, especially larger groups, use a LCD/LED projector and speakers capable of amplifying the audio when viewing the webcast.
Neither individual nor group registration includes permission to rebroadcast or redistribute this webcast. Thank you for your cooperation.