Trustee Academy: Working Effectively with the Library Director (United for Libraries)
Understanding and respecting the roles of the director and the roles of the Trustees
Evaluating a library director's performance
Hiring a new library director
Additional courses in this series include:
Who Should Attend
Sally G. Reed is the executive director of United for Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates Friends and Foundations (United for Libraries), which was formed by the merger of the Association for Library Trustees and Advocates (ALTA) and Friends of Libraries U.S.A. (FOLUSA) in 2009. The mission of this association is to provide Friends and Trustees with the information and networking opportunities they need to serve their libraries even better. Sally is the author of nine books on library management, advocacy, Trustees, volunteers, and fundraising and numerous articles for professional library journals. She has presented programs and workshops to hundreds of Friends of Library groups, Boards of Trustees, and librarian groups nationally and internationally. She is the 2000 recipient of ALA’s Herbert and Virginia White Award for promoting libraries and librarianship.
How to Register
Follow the link above or below to register. Registration is open and ongoing. Courses will be available to you for six months following your registration. Registration is available as follows:
- Register for a single course.
- Register for more than one course (but not the entire series). For this option, you will need to register for each course separately online or fill out the paper registration form and mail with payment or fax with a credit card. Follow the registration link below and select the specific course title for which you want to register. If you register for one or more courses but not the full series, you may later upgrade to the full series.
- Register for the full series of five courses. This option offers the best pricing and discount. Follow the registration link below and select, "United for Libraries Trustee Academy: Series Webcast Purchase."
- Registration for individual courses or the full series is available for individual (one person) registration as well a full Board of Trustees. If registering a full board, one contact person will register on behalf of the board.
To register online you will need an ALA login regardless of whether you are an ALA member, non-member, United for Libraries Group Member, or new to ALA. Follow the link below and select the series or the individual course for which you want to register. Click on the "Register" link and you will be prompted to login:
- ALA members: You must use your ALA membership number or a login you have personalized using “My ALA” and password to receive your discounted registration rates. Your member number is conveniently located on your American Libraries label or membership card.
- Nonmembers who have attended an ALA/division conference, purchased a product from ALA, or subscribed to one of ALA's publications: your login is the email address last used with ALA.
- United for Libraries Group Members: You can use your Trustee Zone login to register as long as it does not begin with “TRZ.” If your login does begin with “TRZ,” you will need to contact United for Libraries (800-545-2433, ext. 2161) or Member & Customer Services (800-545-2433, ext. 5) for your group specific ALA website login.
- If this is your first contact with ALA, you will be prompted to provide some basic information to receive a login.
Computer with speakers or headset, Internet connection, Web browser
For a single Trustee Academy course:
- $30 United for Libraries individual and group members
- $40 individual non-members
- $100 per board for United for Libraries individual and group members
- $125 per board for non-members
For the series of five Trustee Academy courses:
- $115 United for Libraries individual and group members
- $150 individual non-members
- $225 per board for United for Libraries individual and group members
- $300 per board for non-members