Trustee Academy: Trustee Basics, Part II (United for Libraries)
Understanding and setting policy
Understanding and supporting intellectual freedom and patron privacy
Meeeting state standards
Trustee liability and fiduciary responsibilities
Condering D&O insurance
Additional courses in this series include:
Who Should Attend
Lynn Stainbrook is the director of the Brown County (Wisc.) Public Library. She has served as director of Milton (Wisc.) Public Library, Orrville (Ohio) Public Library, Warren-Newport Public Library (Gurnee, Ill.), and Arlington Heights (Ill.) Memorial Library. During her three-year tenure at Arlington Heights Memorial Library, the library completed a $1.8 million renovation of its entry area, complete with ADA-accessible elevator; increased check-outs 13.8% to more than 2 million, and won the Illinois Library Assocation’s Highsmith Innovation Award. She earned an MLS from the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
How to Register
Follow the link above or below to register. Registration is open and ongoing. Courses will be available to you for six months following your registration. Registration is available as follows:
- Register for a single course.
- Register for more than one course (but not the entire series). For this option, you will need to register for each course separately online or fill out the paper registration form and mail with payment or fax with a credit card. Follow the registration link below and select the specific course title for which you want to register. If you register for one or more courses but not the full series, you may later upgrade to the full series.
- Register for the full series of five courses. This option offers the best pricing and discount. Follow the registration link below and select, "United for Libraries Trustee Academy: Series Webcast Purchase."
- Registration for individual courses or the full series is available for individual (one person) registration as well a full Board of Trustees. If registering a full board, one contact person will register on behalf of the board.
To register online you will need an ALA login regardless of whether you are an ALA member, non-member, United for Libraries Group Member, or new to ALA. Follow the link below and select the series or the individual course for which you want to register. Click on the "Register" link and you will be prompted to login:
- ALA members: You must use your ALA membership number or a login you have personalized using “My ALA” and password to receive your discounted registration rates. Your member number is conveniently located on your American Libraries label or membership card.
- Nonmembers who have attended an ALA/division conference, purchased a product from ALA, or subscribed to one of ALA's publications: your login is the email address last used with ALA.
- United for Libraries Group Members: You can use your Trustee Zone login to register as long as it does not begin with “TRZ.” If your login does begin with “TRZ,” you will need to contact United for Libraries (800-545-2433, ext. 2161) or Member & Customer Services (800-545-2433, ext. 5) for your group specific ALA website login.
- If this is your first contact with ALA, you will be prompted to provide some basic information to receive a login.
Computer with speakers or headset, Internet connection, Web browser
For a single Trustee Academy course:
- $30 United for Libraries individual and members
- $40 individual non-members
- $100 per board for United for Libraries individual and group members
- $125 per board for non-members
For the series of five Trustee Academy courses:
- $115 United for Libraries individual and members
- $150 individual non-members
- $225 per board for United for Libraries individual and group members
- $300 per board for non-members