Trustee Academy: The Library's Budget (United for Libraries)
Learning and understanding how your library is funded
Understanding how spending decisions are made and who is authorized to make them
Understanding the library’s financial reports
Making powerful budget presentations
Developing auxiliary funding sources
Additional courses in this series include:
Who Should Attend
Christine Lind Hage is director of the Rochester Hills (Mich.) Public Library. She has been a full-time public librarian for 39 years, and has been responsible for four major library construction projects. Recognized as Michigan’s Librarian of the Year in 1997, she has published and presented widely on various public library subjects both nationally and internationally. Hage has been a frequent contributor to PUBLIB and is the author of The Public Library Start-Up Guide, published in 2004 by ALA Editions. Within ALA, she is a past president of the Public Library Association, an ALA Councilor for 11 years, chair of the Office of Information Technology’s America’s Libraries for the 21st Century Committee, and a member of United for Libraries.
How to Register
Follow the link above or below to register. Registration is open and ongoing. Courses will be available to you for six months following your registration. Registration is available as follows:
- Register for a single course.
- Register for more than one course (but not the entire series). For this option, you will need to register for each course separately online or fill out the paper registration form and mail with payment or fax with a credit card. Follow the registration link below and select the specific course title for which you want to register. If you register for one or more courses but not the full series, you may later upgrade to the full series.
- Register for the full series of five courses. This option offers the best pricing and discount. Follow the registration link below and select, "United for Libraries Trustee Academy: Series Webcast Purchase."
- Registration for individual courses or the full series is available for individual (one person) registration as well a full Board of Trustees. If registering a full board, one contact person will register on behalf of the board.
To register online you will need an ALA login regardless of whether you are an ALA member, non-member, United for Libraries Group Member, or new to ALA. Follow the link below and select the series or the individual course for which you want to register. Click on the "Register" link and you will be prompted to login:
- ALA members: You must use your ALA membership number or a login you have personalized using “My ALA” and password to receive your discounted registration rates. Your member number is conveniently located on your American Libraries label or membership card.
- Nonmembers who have attended an ALA/division conference, purchased a product from ALA, or subscribed to one of ALA's publications: your login is the email address last used with ALA.
- United for Libraries Group Members: You can use your Trustee Zone login to register as long as it does not begin with “TRZ.” If your login does begin with “TRZ,” you will need to contact United for Libraries (800-545-2433, ext. 2161) or Member & Customer Services (800-545-2433, ext. 5) for your group specific ALA website login.
- If this is your first contact with ALA, you will be prompted to provide some basic information to receive a login.
For a single Trustee Academy course:
- $30 individual United for Libraries members
- $40 individual non-members
- $100 per board for United for Libraries group members
- $125 per board for non-members
For the series of five Trustee Academy courses:
- $115 individual United for Libraries members
- $150 individual non-members
- $225 per board for United for Libraries group members
- $300 per board for non-members