Trustee Academy: Advocating for Your Library (United for Libraries)
Sowing the ground with excellent public awareness and excellent service
How to design an advocacy campaign
Collaborating with stake holders such as Friends and Patrons
Implementing the campaign
Additional courses in this series include:
Who Should Attend
Carol Brey-Casiano is an Information Resource Officer for the U.S. State Department; prior to that, she served as director of the El Paso (Texas) Public Library System. She has worked in public libraries for 30 years, and previously served as director of the Thomas Branigan Memorial Library in Las Cruces, N.M., as well as the Oak Park (Ill.) Public Library. Brey-Casiano is a former ALA president. She currently chairs the Committee on Library Advocacy of ALA, and serves on the Campaign for America’s Libraries Subcommittee. She is an active member of the Texas Library Association, the Border Regional Library Association, and REFORMA, the National Association to Promote Library and Informational Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking. Brey-Casiano has been a PhD student at the University of Texas at Austin, and plans to continue her studies sometime in the future. She has an MLIS from the University of Illinois.
Date(s) & Time(s)
Webcasts are available 24/7. The course will run approximately 50 minutes.
For a single Trustee Academy course:
- $30 individual United for Libraries group and individual members
- $40 individual non-members
- $100 per board for United for Libraries group and individual members
- $125 per board for non-members
For the series of five Trustee Academy courses:
- $115 individual United for Libraries group and individual members
- $150 individual non-members
- $225 per board for United for Libraries group and individual members
- $300 per board for non-members
Computer with speakers or headset, Internet connection, Web browser
How to Register
Follow the link above or below to register. Registration is open and ongoing. Courses will be available to you for six months following your registration. Registration is available as follows:
- Register for a single course.
- Register for more than one course (but not the entire series). For this option, you will need to register for each course separately online or fill out the paper registration form and mail with payment or fax with a credit card. Follow the registration link below and select the specific course title for which you want to register. If you register for one or more courses but not the full series, you may later upgrade to the full series.
- Register for the full series of five courses. This option offers the best pricing and discount. Follow the registration link below and select, "United for Libraries Trustee Academy: Series Webcast Purchase."
- Registration for individual courses or the full series is available for individual (one person) registration as well a full Board of Trustees. If registering a full board, one contact person will register on behalf of the board.
To register online you will need an ALA login regardless of whether you are an ALA member, non-member, United for Libraries Group Member, or new to ALA. Follow the link below and select the series or the individual course for which you want to register. Click on the "Register" link and you will be prompted to login:
- ALA members: You must use your ALA membership number or a login you have personalized using “My ALA” and password to receive your discounted registration rates. Your member number is conveniently located on your American Libraries label or membership card.
- Nonmembers who have attended an ALA/division conference, purchased a product from ALA, or subscribed to one of ALA's publications: your login is the email address last used with ALA.
- United for Libraries Group Members: You can use your Trustee Zone login to register as long as it does not begin with “TRZ.” If your login does begin with “TRZ,” you will need to contact United for Libraries (800-545-2433, ext. 2161) or Member & Customer Services (800-545-2433, ext. 5) for your group specific ALA website login.
- If this is your first contact with ALA, you will be prompted to provide some basic information to receive a login.