Public Programs Office home page
In fall 2008, ALA will unveil a redesigned web site, with a new look and easier navigation. The redesign is the culmination of two years of gathering information from focus groups, interviews, usability tests, surveys and other feedback loops. On August 1, ALA will begin migrating content to the new site. During this migration, the Public Programs Office will be unable to update its Web pages. However, we will be updating our blog and sending out news and updates via our electronic discussion list.
Please contact the Public Programs Office at email@example.com if you need assistance locating specific content or updates during the migration. We invite you to preview the ALA site’s new look at www.ala.org/preview.
Questions about the “Visions of the Universe: Four Centuries of Discovery” traveling exhibition? Contact Susan Brandehoff.
About PPO and PCPAC
Awards and Grants
Available August 4: Picturing America
Available September 2: Great Stories CLUB
American Library Association
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Available Awards and Grants
- To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, ALA and NEH announce two new grant opportunites: "Lincoln: the Constitution and the Civil War," a national traveling exhibition, and Let's Talk About It: Making Sense of the American Civil War. Read more on the Civil War programs page.
- Round IV of the Great Stories CLUB ("Second Chances" theme) is now closed. For a list of grant recipients, see the Great Stories CLUB homepage.
- The Sara Jaffarian School Library Program Award application period is now closed. The winning library will be notified in April and be announced in June.
Please check back for new grants, or subscribe to our electronic discussion list to be notified when new opportunities are available.
Online learning opportunities from PPO can help you maximize the impact of your arts and humanities programs with fresh resources, approaches and insights. Classes are free, and archived sessions may be downloaded at any time.
- Terrilyn Chun's November 18th presentation, "Museum/Library Partnerships that Work," is now available for download.
- The archive of the October 7th webinar on programming with the We the People Bookshelf on "A More Perfect Union" is now available for download. See the We the People Bookshelf site for details.
- Browse PPO online learning opportunities
Overall direction of the Public Programs Office, ALA Public and Cultural Programs Advisory Committee, Cultural Communities Fund, Sara Jaffarian Award, partnerships and planning.
Director, PPO Program Development and Partnerships
Inquiries from partners and funders concerning humanities/arts/science programming in libraries. Inquiries concerning innovative models and formats for library programming; sponsorships, library participation in radio, TV, web and emerging media projects; traveling exhibition ideas, design and development; library proposals for grant projects.
Mary Davis Fournier
Inquiries concerning arts, humanities and civic discussion program development; new programs and partnerships; questions regarding content, planning and grant applications for Let’s Talk About It, questions regarding LIVE @ your library Reading Stage, civic discussion, author and poetry programs, and One Book, One Community initiatives.
Inquiries about K-12 programming and partnerships. Content, planning and grant application inquiries concerning: We the People Bookshelf, Picturing America, Prime Time, and the Great Stories CLUB.
Program Officer, Exhibitions
Inquiries about traveling exhibitions, including workshops, publicity review, itineraries, site support notebooks, other support materials, and final reports. Discussion of traveling exhibition ideas, design and development. Assistance with library proposals for PPO traveling exhibition grant projects.
Publicity and marketing for projects and initiatives, PPO, and Cultural Communities Fund; planning and promotion for PPO events and conferences.
Program Officer/Online Applications
General inquiries regarding PPO programs, online applications and PPO website.
Traveling exhibition shipping and materials, PPO workshop logistics, We the People Bookshelf administrative support, office management, general information.
Picturing America, Great Stories CLUB and Let's Talk About It administrative support, and general information.
Picturing America and Sara Jaffarian School Library Program Award administrative support, and general information.