Public Information Office
The Public Information Offices manages the public awareness efforts of the Association through the Campaign for America's Libraries, delivering key messages to external audiences about the value of libraries and librarians. PIO also communicates ALA's key messages through media relations and crisis communications, and offers public relations counsel and editorial services. Tools are also developed and shared with librarians to help advance ALA’s 2015 Key Action Areas. Works with Public Awareness Committee.
Meet the winners of the 2014 Carnegie Corporation of New York/New York Times I Love My Librarian Award!
ALA Board, Committee Reports
- ALA Press Release Guidelines and Writing Tips
- Tips for Creating Press Releases (ALA staff support website)
- 7 Tips for Writing a Killer Press Release
- Media Relations Handbook for Libraries
- PIO Editorial Services
- 62 Ways to Improve Your Press Releases
- Videos from 2009 ALA Communications Training Seminar
Activities of the Public Information Office are overseen by the ALA Public Awareness Committee and its subcommittee, the Campaign for America's Libraries Subcommittee. These groups meet twice a year, during ALA's Annual Conferences in June-July, and Midwinter Meetings, usually held in January.
Media Relations Manager
Manager of Communications
Media Relations Specialist