The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
Sample message sheet
Key Message: Our community deserves a 21st century library.
1. The library is a great resource and a great value for our community. (Benefits)
- It’s the only place in town where people of all ages go to learn and enjoy.
- We introduce children to the joy of reading and help with their homework.
- We save time and money by helping people get materials they need for health, business, leisure and other needs.
2. Our library is bursting at the seams. (Problem)
- We have people waiting two hours to use the computers.
- We have to turn children away from programs.
- People constantly complain about the noise.
3. We have a plan to renovate and expand the library. (Solution)
- We will create more space for computers and add wireless technology.
- We will add a meeting room for community groups.
- We will enclose the children’s area, add a quiet area and teen space.
- Since this library was built, the number of residents has grown 10 times. The number of library cardholders has grown 70%.
- More children participated in the library’s summer reading program than in Little League baseball.
- Last year our library users checked out an average of 20 materials. If they had to buy those materials, it would have cost $350.
One mother told me that the library is about the only place her whole family goes together. She said, “We love family nights. And we can always find something to read. It’s the one place we can afford and we all enjoy. I don’t know what we would do without it.”
Call to Action
We need your support.
- We have an opportunity to apply for a state grant.
- We need to raise $50,000 in matching funds.
- We ask that you give and encourage our town council, your friends and neighbors to support a bigger and better library for our community.