The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
Build powerful partnerships
Getting other organizations to lend their support will strengthen your library’s case. Ask schools, churches, businesses and other community groups for their endorsement.
Encourage their members to join in sending letters, testifying before public officials, giving money or other support.
- Identify potential partners. Which have goals compatible with yours? Which represent audiences you want to reach?
- Pick up the phone. Ask your contact to lunch or coffee.
- Explain what you are trying to accomplish and ask for advice. Be clear about what kind of support you are seeking. Listen.
- Provide a fact sheet/other background materials. Ask what you need to do to move your request along and follow through.
- Be sure to provide updates, thank them and recognize them for their support.