Virtual Parade of Bookmobiles - Registry of Bookmobiles in the U.S.
Join the Parade
To link your bookmobile's Web site to the Parade of Bookmobiles, send your URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Celebrating 100 Years of Bookmobiles
- PowerPoint presentation of the history of bookmobiles.
Parade of Bookmobiles
A Celebration of Bookmobile Services
The sites offer photographs of off-site vehicles and historical perspectives, policies, schedules, and varying degrees of service delivery.
We hope you use the contact information to get in touch with bookmobile staff in other libraries and share information on supporting bookmobile service in your community. Your communication will ensure the continuation of fifty-plus years of service.
Adams County Library System, Gettysburg, PA
Alameda County Library, Fremont, CA
Arapahoe Library District, Centennial, CO
Ashland Public Library, Ashland, OH
- Also see Bookmobiles visit the (Kentucky) Legislature, February 11, 2004
Berks County Public Libraries, Reading, PA
- Also see Bookasaurus, the children's bookmobile.
Bradford County Public Library, Starke, FL
Cambria County Library, Johnstown, PA
Centre County Library & Historical Museum, Bellefonte, PA
Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System, Jamestown, NY
Clinton Essex Franklin Library System, Plattsburgh, NY
- Also see CEF Bookmobile
Crook County Library, Prineville, OR
Deschutes Public Library, Bend, OR
Eastern Shores Library System, Sheboygan, WI
Elyria Public Library System OH
Click on Outreach and then Bookmobile.
Everett Public Library, Everett, WA
- Photos of Pegasus, the first "bookwagon" in Washington State. Some were taken when it was relatively new, with kids clustered around, and later in its service career. There are two stories that document the end of its bookmobile career in the 40s. One of the former drivers said that they were heading out to the south end of town and saw a billboard reading "prepare to meet your maker" and they took it as an omen and refused to drive it anymore. The other story is that when the city librarian took it on a check ride with the state patrol, the officer told her "madam, you are a menace on the roads, and so is this vehicle." and denied it a license. It was sold and the back was taken off to make it a pickup truck. It was discovered rusting in a garage, rescued and restored.
Flagstaff City-Coconino County Library, Flagstaff, AZ
Greenburgh Public Library, Elmsford, NY
Hamilton Public Library, Ontario, Canada
Holmes County District Public Library, Millersburg, OH
Indian Trails Public Library District, Wheeling, IL
Irving Public Library, Irving, TX
Jackson Parish Library, Jonesboro, LA
Jefferson-Madison Regional Library, Charlottesville, VA
- On February 11, Kentucky celebrated its 50 years of the modern bookmobile services. More than 70 bookmobiles paraded from the State Library to the State Capital, and then circled the State Capitol three times (honking) while some 300 library supporters and legislators gathered to watch and cheer them on. This link takes you to a brief slide show.
Lackawanna County Library System, Scranton, PA
Lane Public Library, Butler County, OH
Laramie County Library System, Cheyenne, WY
Lycoming County Mobile Library, Williamsport, PA
Manatee County Public Library System, Bradenton, FL
- Click on the tab "Bookmobile" on the left-hand side of the homepage.
Meade County Public Library, Brandenburg, KY
Monroe County Public Library, Bloomington, IN
- Bookmobile service at the Pickaway County District Public Library began in February 1938 and was an immediate success. More than 1,100 new borrowers were registered and more than 1,400 books were circulated in the first six trips. Storytime on Wheels was added in July 1991 to reach preschool children throughout the county. Homebound delivery is also part of Outreach Services.
Pickaway County District Public Library, Circleville, OH
Pierce County Library System, Tacoma, WA
- A very beautiful and unique bookmobile that we call the Explorer. It was custom built by Moroney Body Works in 2003, and designed especially for kids. It has seating for 18 children with a slide-out for additional space. It was created to bring library service to youth in low-income neighborhoods who can’t get to a branch library. Our kids love it!
Pikes Peak Library District, Colorado Springs, CO
- Also see information on other unusual types of mobile libraries such as camel-drawn.
Rochester Hills Public Library, Rochester, MI
- Also see Children's Bookmobile
- Also see Library on Wheels, wheelchair accessible for seniors.
- Also see Branch Library Improvement Bookmobile, provides services during branch renovations.
Santa Clara County Library, Los Gatos, CA
Sterling Municipal Library, Baytown, TX
Tippecanoe County Public Library, Lafayette, IN
Tuolumne County Library, Sonora, CA
Upper Murray Regional Library, Wodonga Victoria, Australia
Warren County Library, Belvidere, NJ
Weld Library District, Greeley, CO