Division Intellectual Freedom Committees and Activities
CONTACT: Helen Adams, IFC Chair, hadams at mansfield.edu
- AASL wiki entry on Intellectual Freedom
- "What Is Intellectual Freedom?" Brochure - 2008
- KQWeb Intellectual Freedom 101, Nov./Dec. 2007 (articles to be available through an AASL database)
- Program at 2010 ALA Annual Conference (Washington, DC) - "Not in My Library! Self-Censorship Alive and Well"; Sunday, June 27, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Preconference at 2009 AASL National Conference (Charlotte, NC) - "Law for School Librarians: Knowing Minors’ Rights"; Thursday, Nov. 5
- Session at 2009 AASL National Conference (Charlotte, NC): "Ethics in a 2.0 World"
- Program at 2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) - "Minors' Rights in School Library Media Centers"; Saturday, July 11, 1:30-3:00 p.m.
- Three-year plan
- Listing of state AASL Affiliate Intellectual Freedom contacts
- Developing list of activities to be done this spring: "What Your State Intellectual Freedom Committee Can Do"
- Planning online Intellectual Freedom trainings for school librarians with OIF
ACRLCONTACT: IFC Chair: Paul Beavers, aa6536 at wayne.edu
- ACRL IFC Blog
- Statement: "Intellectual Freedom Principles for Academic Libraries" (2000)
- Poster & Flyer ("What would the founders say about intellectual freedom and academic libraries?") for distribution on campuses
- Program at 2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) - “Academic and Intellectual Freedom Climate on Campus—Are our Freedoms Secure in the Next Generation?”; Saturday, July 11, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- Collecting best practices for protecting and promoting intellectual freedom in academic libraries
ALCTSCONTACT: Michael Wright, ALCTS liaison to IFC. michael-wright at uiowa.edu (ALCTS does not have a standing intellectual freedom committee)
ALSCCONTACT: Michael Santangelo, Chair IFC. m.santangelo at brooklynpubliclibrary.org
- In the process of putting up page on ALSC website to help with challenges
- Coordinating "youth division" program at 2010 ALA Annual Conference (Washington, DC) - "Finding the Balance: Kids' Rights, Parental Demands, and the Librarian's Role"; Saturday, June 26, 2010, 1:30-3:30 p.m. This is a joint AASL/ALSC/YALSA program.
- Co-sponsored program with GLBTRT @ 2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) - "What Makes Tango So Scary? Serving Your Whole Library Population, Intellectual Freedom, and Censorship of LGBT Children's Books"; Sunday, July 12, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
ALTAFFCONTACT: Deborah Miller, Chair IFC. dmiller at stdl.org
- Program at 2010 ALA Annual Conference (Washington, DC) - "Murder in Connecticut vs. Cheshire Public Library"; Sunday, June 27, 10:30 a.m.
- Program at 2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) - "Change is in the Air: How Intellectual Freedom Affects You in Your Library"; Saturday, July 11, 10:30-noon
- February 2010: OIF/ALTAFF staff presenting online intellectual freedom training for library trustees
ASCLACONTACT: Melora Ranney Norman, ASCLA liaison to IFC. mnorman at unity.edu (ASCLA does not have a standing intellectual freedom committee)
LITACONTACT: Aimee Fifarek, LITA liaison to FTRF. afifarek at scottsdaleaz.gov (LITA does not have a liaison to IFC)
Note: the LITA Technology and Access committee deals with Intellectual Freedom. The current chair is David J. Nutty, dnutty at usm.maine.edu
- Program at 2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) – “Net Neutrality and Its Implications for Libraries”; Sunday, June 12, 10:30 a.m. – noon. Ft. Alan Inouye, Director OITP; Gregory Jackson, CIO University of Chicago; Clifford Lynch, Director CNI
LLAMACONTACT: Jim Teliha, LLAMA liaison to IFC. teliha at isu.edu (LLAMA does not have a standing intellectual freedom committee.)
PLACONTACT: Kent Oliver, Chair IFC. koliver at starklibrary.org
- Intellectual Freedom Community of Practice on PLASpace (access limited to members)
- Book -
Defending Access with Confidence: A Practical Workshop on Intellectual Freedom
by Catherine Lord (2005)
- OIF and the ALA IFC will be presenting a program on privacy on Friday, March 26, 2010 at the PLA National Conference, Portland, OR
Gordon M. Conable Award is presented annually at ALA's Annual Conference (note: this is different from the Freedom to Read Foundation's
Gordon M. Conable Conference Scholarship)
RUSACONTACT: Pamela Sieving, Chair, Access to Information Committee. ps256e at nih.gov
- The RUSA Access to Information Committee has developed a "Right to Access" statement
- There were two programs on privacy at the
2009 ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL)
- "The Secret Life of Our Data: Privacy in the Digital Age" - Saturday, July 11, 1:30 - 3:30 p.m., RUSA STARS
- "Who Cares About Privacy? Boundaries, Millennials and the MySpace Mindset" - Sunday, July 12, 10:30 a.m. - noon, RUSA MARS
YALSACONTACT: Holly Anderton, Chair IFC; andertonh at carnegielibrary.org
Hit List for Young Adults 2: Frequently Challenged Books
- Committee Web page
- YALSA Intellectual Freedom Resources
- YALSA wiki page on challenges
YALSA wiki page with bibliography
- Coordinated 2009 ALA Annual Conference Program (Chicago, IL): "Walk the Line: The Fine Line Between Selection and Censorship" - Monday, July 13, 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. This was a joint AASL/ALSC/YALSA program.
- The YALSA IFC also contributes to the YALSA blog.