Nepal Library Relief Fund
Damages to Tribhuvan University Central Library. (Images by lbchouhan on Flickr, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The American Library Association is partnering with READ Global (Rural Education and Development) libraries, other NGOs and other government organizations in Nepal to collect monetary donations, which will be sent to continue leading the relief effort. The Nepal Library Relief Fund will help to rebuild libraries and archives in Nepal that were destroyed or damaged by the earthquake on April 25, 2015, followed by a series of aftershocks including one of 7.3 magnitude on May 12.
READ Centers that were damaged:
Donate to the Nepal Library Relief Fund
- Credit card: Please visit the ALA Development Office page (1. click on the GIVEALA logo, 2. Enter your ALA Login number and password or create a new record, 3. Go to "Fund Categories", 4. Click on "ALA Major Initiatives", 5. Scroll down to 'Nepal Library Relief Fund', 6. Enter amount you wish to donate, 6. If finished, click the 'Checkout' box, 7. Review your transaction, 8. Click on "Add to basket", 9. Click on "Proceed with Checkout", 10. Enter your credit card information, 11. Click on 'Complete Order')
- Mail: Please print Donation Form (PDF file, 135 KB). Checks should be made out to "American Library Association" with a notation for Nepal and sent to: c/o International Relations Office, American Library Association, 50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611-2795
Adopt a Library--Become A Sister Library
ALA is encouraging libraries, friends of libraries, and other organizations to adopt a library in Nepal. There are many public, community, academic, and school libraries that need help. If you would be interested in adopting a library or becoming a sister library please contact Michael Dowling at email@example.com.
Information on affected libraries in Nepal:
READ Center in Kumari Village, Nuwakot District. - This library is one of the most severely damaged as it was very close to the epicenter and will almost certainly need to be rebuilt. Reconstruction costs are anticipated to be $50k-$75K and possibly higher than that.
- The Kumari Community Library and Resource Center (PDF file)
- READ Global earthquake response (PDF file)
- Ministry of Education Report on Nepal Libraries following earthquake (June 2015, MS Word)
DISASTER PREPAREDNESS RESOURCES
- Heritage Preservation: Webpage of the Heritage Emergency Task Force with resources for disaster recovery.
- Library of Congress: The Library of Congress has a webpage with resources for librarians on preservation and emergency preparedness and response.
For questions or comments, please contact the International Relations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.