50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611 USA
The Membership Development Office works to make the process of joining or renewing your ALA membership a simple experience. We look out for new opportunities for professional growth for the membership and encourage innovations around the association that provide new support to the profession. We strive to offer the wide variety of information about ALA, its offices, divisions, round tables, products and services in a member friendly, welcoming way. ALA offers so much to its members that we strive to make getting what you need as simple as possible. Member satisfaction in the broad Association drives our work. Always feel free to call with your questions.
- Manage the membership renewal and application process
- Manage the member ID card and welcome process
- Manage membership appeals and reinstatement campaigns
- Coordinate outreach at ALA and chapter/affiliate library conferences
- Facilitate networking among the membership in person and through social networks
- Cultivate member initiatives and new ways of working within the Association
- Provide staff support to the ALA Membership Committee and Presidential Task Forces
Initiatives & Projects
- Student AL Direct - the only monthly newsletter specifically for ALA's student members, with news and insights for getting the most out of your library education
- Student Portal - a terrific starting point that links you to ALA services, support, information, programs, products, and more for students in Library and Information Studies programs, and others looking for information
- Member Value Programs (MVP). Learn about the direct benefits of membership, including discounts on products and services for yourself and your library. Start taking advantage of our programs today.
- Learn about and get the most from your membership investment.
- Find out about the ways to get more involved in ALA through Association resources, initiatives and by meeting other members.
- Library Support Staff Memberships - encouraging more support and paraprofessional staff to join ALA and become actively involved in divisions and round tables
- Members at All Stages of a Career - from the student-to-staff transition to a full-time to retired change, keeping membership relevant to you personally at any stage in your work/life
- Studies and Feedback - asking the membership clearly about what is wanted from the association and responding across the association to help provide solutions to problems
Oversight Groups & Meeting Schedules
- ALA Membership Committee
- Chair and support several staff task forces and work groups including the Membership Marking Group, Social Networking, I Love Libraries Coordination, and AL Direct Advisory