American Library Association Office for Human Resources Development and Recruitment Advisory Committee
2008 Midwinter Meeting
Monday, January 14, 2008
1:30 - 3:30 pm
MINUTES OF MEETING
J. Robert Verbesey
Nancy Anne Wilson
Lorelle Swader, Director, HRDR Office
Welcome and Introductions
Meeting was called to order by Chair Burger at 1:36 pm.
Verbesey volunteered to take minutes.
Adoption of Agenda
Minutes of 2007 Annual Conference
Motion by Tibbs, seconded by Wilson. Approved unanimously.
- Planned Giving Program: Kim Olsen-Clark from the ALA Development Office reported on the ALA Planned Giving Program.
- ALA Executive Board Liaison: Swader reported (for Charles Kratz) that conference attendees need to register for the Conference before they can reserve a hotel room. She discussed "organizational excellence" as contained in the Strategic Plan, the membership survey, and the concept of graduated dues not being on the front-burner. She also reported on "electronic participation," the revision of the Code of Professional Ethics, and the APA's Sequel program.
- Burger inquired regarding ALA website problems and Swader responded that ALA's Online Communities have caused website problems.
- ALA Recruitment Assembly: Davis reported they had 14 attendees. The report included discussions of emerging leaders' projects, librarycareers.org, and YouTube video.
- HRDR Office Activities: Swader reviewed the Strategic Statement, special initiatives, the Emerging Leaders Program, and HRDR staffing duties.
- Swader gave an update on Support Staff Career Ladders at a community college and a report on the Emerging Leaders' Task Force
- Revision of ALA Code of Professional Ethics: Questions have been raised about #5: "We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith, and advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees of our institutions."
- Appointment to Scholarship and Grants Committee: Carrie Gits (Nova Southeastern) was appointed.
- Placement Center Survey Data: A report was made by Beatrice Calvin.
- ALA Job Search and Career Development Resources: Discussion.
- HRDR 30th Anniversary: Looking for ideas for a celebration.
- Monday, June 30, 2008 from 1:30 to 3:30 pm at the ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, CA.
- Meeting was adjourned at 3:38 pm.
Prepared by J. Robert Verbesey