ALCTS Virtual Preconference Coming in June
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO – June 7 and 8, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) will host a virtual preconference that will bring the conference experience to you. We Can Do It, You Can Too! Metadata Automation For Everyone is a two-day virtual preconference that consists of two 90-minute sessions on automating descriptive metadata creation and automating legacy data cleanup projects. Registration is open, so sign up early to make sure you get a spot.
As the pressure mounts to “digitize all the things!," the need to upload new digital material quickly, efficiently and accurately while maintaining established standards for discovery and interoperability becomes essential. This virtual preconference, which takes place June 7-8, will explore methods for meeting these expectations including leveraging existing archival data, batch processing, vocabulary reconciliation and other techniques.
Follow the conversation on Twitter: #alctsac16
Tuesday, June 7, 1 – 2:30 p.m. Central, 2 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, noon – 1:30 p.m. Mountain, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific
Topics and Presenters:
- Names to Faces: Automated Name Metadata Generation using Picasa, ExifTool, and the VRA Panel Export-Import Tool
- Presented by Michelle Sweetser, University Archivist at Marquette University and Lynn Whittenberger, Metadata Librarian at Marquette University
- Finding a New Metadata M.O. : Metadata Automation on a Budget at a Medium-Sized Institution
- Presented by Joseph R. Nicholson, Metadata Librarian at University of North Carolina-Charlotte
Wednesday, June 8, 1 – 2:30 p.m. Central, 2 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, noon – 1:30 p.m. Mountain, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific
Topics and Presenters:
- Editing Legacy Metadata for ETDs: Description of a Best Practice Using the MARCEdit Plug-In Tool
- Presented by Marielle Veve, Metadata Librarian at University of North Florida
- Looking Back, Moving Forward: A Large-Scale Metadata Remediation Effort
- Presented by Maggie Dickson, Metadata Architect at Duke University
For more information about what will be presented, visit the ALCTS Conference web site.
ALCTS member or international member: $69 entire preconference; $43 for one session
Non-member: $95 entire preconference; $59 for one session
Group Registration (Group of people that will watch the webinar together from one access point)
ALCTS member (group leader): $159 entire preconference; $99 for one session
Non-member (group leader): $206 entire preconference; $129 for one session
The sessions are recorded and the one-time registration fee includes unlimited access to the session recording.
How to Register
To register for the entire virtual preconference or one session, complete the online registration form.
For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other questions or comments related to this virtual preconference and other ALCTS webinars, contact Julie Reese, ALCTS Continuing Education and Program Manager, at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or email@example.com.
ALCTS is the national association for information providers who work in collections and technical services, such as acquisitions, cataloging, collection development, preservation and continuing resources in digital and print formats. ALCTS is a division of the American Library Association.