Evolve your professional practice with a preconference at AASL15
For Immediate Release
Manager, Web Communications
American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
CHICAGO – The American Association of School Librarians (AASL) 17th National Conference & Exhibition promises to help school library professionals evolve their practice with its offering of full- and half-day preconference workshops on a variety of timely and relevant topics. The conference, “Experience Education Evolution,” will take place Nov. 5-8, 2015, in Columbus, Ohio. Workshops will be held Nov. 4 and 5. More information is available on the national conference website at national.aasl.org/precons.
Preconference workshop options include:
- Think Tank Library – Think Tank Classroom! Weaving Research, Rigor, & New Standards Together Creatively – Paige Jaeger, school improvement trainer, and Mary Ratzer, school library consultant, will present a hands-on session weaving together Inquiry based learning, brain-based research and the frameworks of multiple standards. Each participant will leave with a lesson. (Full-day)
- Take the Initiative! Transform Your School Community with an Outward-focused Library Program – Ken Stewart, school librarian at the 2015 National School Library of the Year Award winning Blue Valley High School, will demonstrate how participants can use the ALA initiative, Libraries Transforming Communities, to strengthen their role as a community leader while also garnering ideas, support and encouragement. (Half-day)
- Coteaching Inquiry Learning and Reading Comprehension Strategies: A Perfect Match – Judi Moreillon, assistant professor at Texas Woman’s University, will share strategies to develop an even more powerful, high-impact library literacy program through instructional partnerships. (Half-day)
- Extending Guided Inquiry into the Interrogation of Sources – Randell Schmidt, head librarian, and Emilia Giordano, assistant librarian at Gill St. Bernards School will provide lesson plans and information source analysis strategies to help guide students in writing high school humanities or science research papers. (Half-day)
- Three Must-Have Tools for the School Librarian’s Digital Leadership Toolbox – Lucy Santos Green and Stephanie Jones, associate professors at Georgia Southern University, will introduce participants to the unique characteristics and properties of social media, curator and web-based tools and how they can be used to keep the school library program ahead of the technology curve. (Half-day)
Preconference workshops are not included in conference registration and do require an additional fee. Early registration is recommended as space is limited.
The AASL National Conference & Exhibition is the only national conference dedicated solely to the needs of school librarians and their roles as educational leaders. The 17th National Conference & Exhibition, “Experience Education Evolution,” taking place Nov. 5-8, 2015, will feature preconference workshops & tours, author events, concurrent sessions and an exhibition featuring companies relevant to the profession. Register before the August 13 early bird deadline to save $100 of the on-site registration fee. Those communicating about the national conference are encouraged to use the official hashtag, #aasl15.
The American Association of School Librarians, www.aasl.org, a division of the American Library Association (ALA), empowers leaders to transform teaching and learning.