Cultural heritage information
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Featuring contributions by 17 leading academics from around the world, “Cultural Heritage Information: Access and Management,” published by ALA Neal-Schuman, provides an overview of the various challenges and contemporary research activities in cultural heritage information. Starting with an introductory chapter by editors Ian Ruthven and G. G. Chowdhury that provides a brief overview of the topic, with a look at policies and infrastructures, the text offers a comprehensive consideration of interaction, access and objects, with numerous examples of concrete system implementations. An important tool for maximizing the availability and longevity of our digital cultural heritage, this book covers such key topics as:
- managing digital cultural heritage information;
- digital humanities and digital cultural heritage, alt-history and future directions;
- management of cultural heritage information: policies and practices;
- cultural heritage information: artifacts and digitization technologies;
- metadata in cultural contexts, from manga to digital archives in a linked open data environment
- information systems architecture;
- cultural heritage information users and usability;
- a framework for classifying and comparing interactions in cultural heritage information systems;
- semantic access and exploration in cultural heritage digital libraries;
- supporting exploration and use of digital cultural heritage materials: the PATHS perspective;
- sustainability issues.
Ruthven is professor of information seeking and retrieval, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Strathclyde, UK. Chowdhury is professor in Information Science at iSchool@northumbria, and head of the Department of Mathematics and Information Sciences at Northumbria University, UK.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Founded in 1976 by Patricia Glass Schuman and John Vincent Neal, Neal-Schuman Publishers, now an imprint of ALA Publishing, publishes professional books for librarians, archivists, and knowledge managers. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.