CHICAGO – The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) has announced the official titles of the 2014 Teens’ Top Ten.
Teens all over the world voted starting Aug. 15, with voting lasting through Teen Read Week™ (Oct. 12-18, 2014). Altogether, over 12,000 votes were cast for the 25 nominees.
The official 2014 Teens’ Top Ten titles are as follows:
- "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell (Macmillan/St. Martin's Griffin)
- "Splintered" by A.G. Howard (ABRAMS/Amulet Books)
- "The Rithmatist" by Brandon Sanderson (Tor Teen)
- "The 5th Wave" by Rick Yancey (Penguin/Putnam Juvenile)
- "Monument 14: Sky on Fire" by Emmy Laybourne (Macmillan/Feiwel & Friends)
- "Earth Girl" by Janet Edwards (Prometheus Books /Pyr)
- "The Testing" by Joelle Charbonneau (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson (Random House/Delacorte Press)
- "Siege and Storm" by Leigh Bardugo (Macmillan/Henry Holt Books for Young Readers)
- "The Eye of Minds" by James Dashner (Random House/Delacorte Press)
A digital image of a Teens’ Top Ten seal for the official titles is now available to publishers for licensing. Arrangements can be made through ALA's Rights and Permissions office for publishers who need permission to reproduce the seal on a paperback edition or book jacket. Contact email@example.com or Mary Jo Bolduc, (312) 280-5416 or (312) 944-8741 (fax) for information.
The Teens' Top Ten is a "teen choice" list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year. Nominators are members of teen book groups in sixteen school and public libraries around the country. Nominations are posted on Celebrate Teen Literature Day, the Thursday of National Library Week, and teens across the country vote on their favorite titles each year.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has worked to build the capacity of libraries and librarians to engage, serve and empower teens. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.