CHICAGO — The Public Library Association (PLA) is offering the always popular PLA Results Boot Camp “Results Are What Matters: Management Tools and Techniques to Improve Library Services and Programs” with June Garcia and Sandra Nelson, Aug. 4-8, at the Nashville (Tenn.) Public Library.
PLA Boot Camp is a four-and-a-half day, intensive education program that emphasizes the roles of innovation, risk and change in public library management; the impact of trends on local service priorities; the value of data-based decision-making; and the skills to effectively allocate resources. At the conclusion of the four-and-a-half-day workshop, participants will know how to:
- create a library environment that supports risk and innovation;
- understand and respond to ongoing changes in the external environment;
- develop goals and objectives that reflect local service priorities;
- identify and select effective activities that respond to service priorities;
- review staff workload and skills and determine the requirements to accomplish your selected activities; and
- allocate collection, technology and facilities resources to support library activities.
Interested librarians are required to fill out an online application to be accepted into Boot Camp. Participation is limited to ensure an environment that fosters group interaction and active engagement. The application deadline is June 13, 2014. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the program within two weeks of submitting an application and can then proceed with registration.
Cost to attend the four-and-a-half day workshop is $825 (PLA Members), $925 (ALA Members) and $1,025 (nonmembers). For more information and to fill out an application, please visit the website.
PLA is a division of the American Library Association. PLA’s core purpose is to strengthen public libraries and their contribution to the communities they serve. Its mission is to enhance the development and effectiveness of public library staff and public library services. For more information, visit www.pla.org.