YALSA names 2014 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
PHILADELPHIA — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2014 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers selection list. The list is presented annually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
The Quick Picks list suggests books that teens, ages 12-18, will pick up on their own and read for pleasure; it is geared to the teenager who, for whatever reason, does not like to read.
The complete list of 77 titles and 3 series, drawn from more than 200 nominations, can be found at http://www.ala.org/yalsa/quick-picks-reluctant-young-adult-readers. The Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers committee also selected a Top Ten list:
- Brown, Jeffrey. "Star Wars Jedi Academy." Scholastic, 2013.
- Bruchac, Joseph. "Killer of Enemies." Tu Books, 2013.
- Charbonneau, Joelle. "The Testing." Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013.
- Henderson, Elisabeth and Nancy Armstrong. "100 Questions You’d Never Ask Your Parents: Straight Answers to Teens’ Questions About Sex, Sexuality, and Health." Roaring Book, 2013.
- London, Alex. "Proxy." Philomel, 2013.
- Lynch, Chris. "Vietnam #4: Casualties of War." Scholastic, 2013.
- Medina, Meg. "Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass." Candlewick Press, 2013.
- Newman, Aline Alexander and Gary Weitzman. "How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language." National Geographic, 2013.
- Shen, Prudence. "Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong." Faith Erin Hicks. Roaring Book Press, 2013.
- Zadoff, Allen. "Boy Nobody." Little, Brown Books, 2013.
“We feel such a sense of accomplishment and pride finishing this varied list of books for reluctant readers throughout the country,” said Chair Derek Ivie. “Quick Picks really has anything any teen might like: zombies, dystopias, dogs, crafts, graphic novels, etc. However, there are no graphic novels of zombie dogs making crafts in a dystopian world. Maybe next year? With that said we are thrilled with this selection!"
Members of the Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers Committee are: Derek Ivie, Chair, Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Bellport, N.Y.; Julie Benolken, Inver Hills Community College, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.; Adrienne Butler, Oklahoma Department of Libraries, Oklahoma City, Okla.; Kimberly Castle-Alberts, Hudson Library & Historical Society, Hudson, Ohio; Jennifer Fairchild, Auburn Library, Auburn, Wash.; Clio Hathaway, Hayward Public Library, Hayward, Calif; Shelly McNerney, Blue Valley West Highschool, Overland Park, Kans.; Beth L. Medley, Maricopa County Library District, Phoenix, Ariz.; Jackie Parker-Robinson, Sno-Isle Libraries, Lynwood, Wash.; Dr. Karin Perry, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas; Shawna Sherman, San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco; and Kellie Tilton, Administrative Assistant, University of Cincinnati Blue Ash, Blue Ash, Ohio.
YALSA’s portfolio of book and media awards helps strengthen library services for and with teens by identifying quality, age appropriate resources for librarians and library workers to share with the teens in their communities.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has worked to build the capacity of libraries and librarians to engage, serve and empower teens. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.