Choice editors announce top Outstanding Academic Titles picks for 2013
For Immediate Release
Middletown, Conn. – The Choice subject editors recognize the most significant titles reviewed each calendar year by compiling the “Outstanding Academic Titles” (OAT) list, which is published each January in Choice magazine and on Choice Reviews Online. As a special preview to the full 2013 list, which will appear in the January 2014 issue, the Choice subject editors have selected from among the 2013 list their favorites for the following Top 25 Books and Top 10 Internet Resource lists.
Choice’s Outstanding Academic Titles, 2013: Top 25 Books
- Affluence and Influence: Economic Inequality and Political Power in America, by Martin Gilens. Russell Sage Foundation/Princeton, 2012. 329p ISBN 9780691153971, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE April 2013.
- The African American Electorate: A Statistical History, by Hanes Walton Jr., Sherman C. Puckett, and Donald R. Deskins Jr. SAGE Publications/CQ Press, 2012. 2v ISBN 9780872895089, $350.00. Reviewed in CHOICE January 2013.
- The Art of Modern China, by Julia F. Andrews and Kuiyi Shen. California, 2012. 364p ISBN 9780520238145, $80.00; ISBN 9780520271067 pbk, $30.00. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Betrayed by Nature: The War on Cancer, by Robin Hesketh. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. 255p ISBN 9780230338487, $28.00. Reviewed in CHOICE January 2013.
- Brutes or Angels: Human Possibility in the Age of Biotechnology, by James T. Bradley. Alabama, 2013. 338p ISBN 9780817317881, $34.95; ISBN 9780817386580 e-book, $34.95. Reviewed in CHOICE December 2013.
- Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution, by Nathaniel Philbrick. Viking, 2013. 598p ISBN 9780670025442, $32.95. Reviewed in CHOICE October 2013.
- City of Promises: A History of the Jews of New York: v.1: Haven of Liberty; v.2: Emerging Metropolis; v.3: Jews in Gotham, gen. ed. Deborah Dash Moore. New York University, 2012. 3v ISBN 9780814776322, $99.00. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- The Color of Christ: The Son of God & the Saga of Race in America, by Edward J. Blum and Paul Harvey. North Carolina, 2012. 340p ISBN 9780807835722, $32.50. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Compromise: A Political and Philosophical History, by Alin Fumurescu. Cambridge, 2013. 298p ISBN 9781107029439, $90.00. Reviewed in CHOICE November 2013.
- The Economics of Inequality, Poverty, and Discrimination in the 21st Century: v.1: Causes; v.2: Solutions, ed. by Robert S. Rycroft. Praeger, 2013. 2v ISBN 9780313396915, $110.00; ISBN 9780313396922 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- The End of Leadership, by Barbara Kellerman. Harper Business, 2013 (c2012). 233p ISBN 9780062069160, $27.99. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- The Endgame: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Iraq, from George W. Bush to Barack Obama, by Michael R. Gordon and Bernard E. Trainor. Pantheon Books, 2012. 779p ISBN 9780307377227, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- Envisioning Emancipation: Black Americans and the End of Slavery, by Deborah Willis and Barbara Krauthamer. Temple, 2013. 223p ISBN 9781439909850, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE July 2013.
- Heart of Darkness: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Invisible Universe, by Jeremiah P. Ostriker and Simon Mitton. Princeton, 2013. 299p ISBN 9780691134307, $27.95; ISBN 9781400844647 ebook, $27.95. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Karl Marx: A Nineteenth-Century Life, by Jonathan Sperber. Liveright, 2013. 648p ISBN 9780871404671, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The King of Infinite Space: Euclid and His Elements, by David Berlinski. Basic Books, 2013. 172p ISBN 9780465014811, $55.00; ISBN 9780465033461 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Mao: The Real Story, by Alexander V. Pantsov with Steven I. Levine. Simon & Schuster, 2012. 755p ISBN 9781451654479, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE April 2013.
- The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, ed. by Gerhard Bowering et al. Princeton, 2012. 656p ISBN 9780691134840, $75.00. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks, by Jeanne Theoharis. Beacon Press, 2013. 304p ISBN 9780807050477, $27.95; ISBN 9780807050484 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Sharing the Prize: The Economics of the Civil Rights Revolution in the American South, by Gavin Wright. Belknap, Harvard, 2013. 353p ISBN 9780674049338, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Taxes in America: What Everyone Needs to Know, by Leonard E. Burman and Joel Slemrod. Oxford, 2013. 280p ISBN 9780199890279, $74.00; ISBN 9780199890262 pbk, $16.95. Reviewed in CHOICE March 2013.
- The United States and China: A History from the Eighteenth Century to the Present, by Dong Wang. Rowman & Littlefield, 2013. 377p ISBN 9780742557819, $89.00; ISBN 9780742557826 pbk, $29.95; ISBN 9780742557833 ebook, $28.99. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The Violin: A Social History of the World's Most Versatile Instrument, by David Schoenbaum. W. W. Norton, 2012. 710p ISBN 9780393084405, $39.95. Reviewed in CHOICE July 2013.
- The Virtues of Poetry, by James Longenbach. Graywolf Press, 2013. 169p ISBN 9781555976378 pbk, $14.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The Whole Story of Climate: What Science Reveals about the Nature of Endless Change, by E. Kirsten Peters. Prometheus Books, 2012. 290p ISBN 9781616146726, $26.00. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
Choice’s Outstanding Academic Titles, 2013: Top Ten Internet Resources
- ARTstor Digital Library. ARTstor Inc. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Brepols Miscellanea Online; Brepols Periodica Archive. Brepols. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE November 2013.
- China: Culture and Society. Adam Matthew. Contact publisher for pricing (based on Carnegie Classification and JISC); includes nominal hosting fee, payable every five years. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Doing Business, from the World Bank. Reviewed in CHOICE October 2013.
- Ethnic American Newspapers from the Balch Collection, 1799-1971. Readex. For academic libraries, Readex offers a one-time tiered purchase price with an annual maintenance fee. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
- Global Plants. JSTOR. Annual access fees for higher institutions range from $750.00 to $3,800.00. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. Reviewed in CHOICE March 2013.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online. Oxford. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Routledge Performance Archive. Routledge. Pricing for academic libraries is based on concurrent user or FTE, starting at $2,400.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Undercover Reporting: Deception for Journalism's Sake: A Database. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
Choice (http://www.ala.org/acrl/choice) is a publishing unit of the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL), a division of the American Library Association. Founded in 1964, Choice has been the premier review journal for scholarly publications for nearly 50 years and is the leading North American source for reviews of new scholarly books and electronic resources.
The Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) is the higher education association for librarians. Representing more than 11,500 academic and research librarians and interested individuals, ACRL (a division of the American Library Association) is the only individual membership organization in North America that develops programs, products and services to help academic and research librarians learn, innovate and lead within the academic community. Founded in 1940, ACRL is committed to advancing learning and transforming scholarship. ACRL is on the Web at http://www.acrl.org/, Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ala.acrl and Twitter at @ala_acrl.