Sullivan updates and expands bestselling fundamentals of children’s services text
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO — Children's services are the heart of the library; in fact, more than one-third of U.S. library users are under the age of 12. The new second edition of the comprehensive reference “Fundamentals of Children's Services” published by ALA Editions, covers both innovative and standard practices in children's services, continuing its role as the definitive guide for those studying to become children's librarians, for experienced and new children's librarians, for library administrators and for trustees. Author Michael Sullivan thoroughly updates and expands coverage of fundamentals such as collection development and management, programming, homework support and reference and readers’ advisory. In response to pervasive changes in the field, he also:
- Offers an expansive view of what it means to ensure that children are well-served in light of ongoing budgetary challenges;
- Shows how to collaborate effectively with parents, teachers and administrators, and how to cooperate with schools;
- Gives techniques for using tools such as social media for marketing, outreach and advocacy;
- Addresses the subject of children and e-books;
- Helps readers understand the importance of new cataloging trends, such as RDA: Resource Description and Access and RFID and reference work in the digital age.
Sullivan is the author of several bestselling books, including “Raising Boy Readers,” “Connecting Boys with Books: What Libraries Can Do,” “Connecting Boys with Books 2: Closing the Reading Gap,” and “Serving Boys through Readers’ Advisory.” He has spoken widely on the topic of boys and reading as well as library administration and the place and power of children's services. He was a children’s librarian and library director in public libraries for more than fifteen years and taught public library administration for five years at Simmons College in Boston.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. ALA Editions publishes resources used worldwide by tens of thousands of library and information professionals to improve programs, build on best practices, develop leadership, and for personal professional development. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a growing range of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5418 or firstname.lastname@example.org.