Harkness and Neal stand for 2013-2014 PLA President
For Immediate Release
Public Library Association (PLA)
CHICAGO — Elections for the Public Library Association (PLA), as well as those for the American Library Association (ALA) and its other divisions, are open through 11:59 p.m. CT, April 26. This year in the PLA election, six candidates are standing for three positions, including PLA president and two directors-at-large (three-year terms)
The positions and candidates are as follows:
PLA President (2013–2014) The PLA president will be elected for a three-year term, serving one year each as president-elect, president and past-president.
- Alan Harkness, assistant state librarian for Library Development, Georgia Public Library Service
- Larry Neal, director, Clinton-Macomb (Mich.) Public Library
Directors-at-Large (Three-Year Terms) Two PLA members will be elected to the board of directors for three-year terms.
- Melinda Cervantes, executive director, Pima County (Calif.) Public Library
- Chang Liu, director, Loudoun County (Va.) Library
- Waller McGuire, executive director, Saint Louis (Mo.) Public Library
- Jay Turner, director of Continuing Education and Training, Georgia Public Library Service
To be eligible to vote, individuals must be ALA and PLA members in good standing as of Jan. 31, 2013. The election is held online; members should have received instructions and passcodes via email in mid-March. Exceptions to the online election will be made for members with disabilities and without Internet access. These individuals may obtain a paper ballot by contacting ALA customer service at 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 5. The polls close on Friday, April 26 at 11:59 p.m. Central. On May 3, the Election Committee will meet at the ALA offices to certify the election. Election results will be released following that meeting.
For more information about PLA, contact the PLA office at (800) 545-2433, ext. 5PLA, or visit www.pla.org. PLA is a division of the American Library Association. PLA’s core purpose is to strengthen public libraries and their contribution to the communities they serve. Its mission is to enhance the development and effectiveness of public library staff and public library services.