YALSA names 2013 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
For Immediate Release
SEATTLE — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2013 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults (PPYA). The list, drawn from official nominations, is presented annually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. The complete list of 90 titles, including annotations, can be found at http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists/poppaper/2013.
This year’s PPYA committee produced four lists of titles arranged by the following topics:
- Boarding Schools to Summer Camps: Leaving home to find;
- Gowns, Greasepaint and Guitars: Not the same old song and dance;
- I'm New Here Myself: A generation, caught between nations;
- More Books that Won't Make You Blush: All of the excitement, none of the naughty.
The committee also selected the following titles as its Top Ten list:
- Carter, Ally. "Heist Society." Hyperion Books CH. 2011. 978-1423116615. $8.99.
- Eulberg, Elizabeth. "Prom and Prejudice." Point. 2012. 978-0545240789. $9.99.
- Gallo, Donald (ed). "First Crossing: Stories about teen immigrants." Candlewick. 2007. 978-0763632915. $8.99.
- Hauser, Brooke. "The New Kids: big dreams and brave journeys at a high school for immigrant teens." Free Press. 2012. 978-1439163306. $15.00.
- Johnson, Maureen. "Name of the Star." Speak. 2012. 978-0142422052. $9.99.
- Lockhart, E. "The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks." Hyperion. 2009. 978-0786838196. $9.99.
- Skovron, Jon. "Struts and Frets." Amulet. 2011. 978-1419700286. $7.95.
- Telgemeier, Raina. "Drama." Illus. Raina Telgemeier. Scholastic/ GRAPHIX. 2012. 978-0545326995. $10.99.
- Van Draanen, Wendelin. "The Running Dream." Ember. $9.99. 978-0375866289. $10.99.
- Wright, Bil. "Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy." Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers. 2012. 978-1416940043. $9.99.
"Some popular book themes remain perennial favorites, while the popularity of other themes wax and wane with pop culture interests of the teens we serve. The 2013 PPYA list reflects this," said, committee Chair Jennifer Korn. "'Boarding Schools to Summer Camps' highlights titles from a genre long popular with teens, who at one time or another dream about life away from home; and the updated 'More Books that won't Make You Blush' celebrates high interest titles that are suitable for a wide audience. 'Gowns, Greasepaint and Guitars' puts the spotlight on wildly popular performing arts stories; and 'I'm New Here Myself' features books that America's rapidly growing multi-cultural and multi-national teen population."
Members of the Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults Committee are: Jennifer Korn, chair, The Public Library of Cincinnati (Ohio) & Hamilton County; Joan Callen, University of Wisconsin-Milwauke, Waukesha, Wis; Sabrina Carnesi, Crittenden Middle School, Newport News, Va.; Franklin Escobedo, Oceanside (Calif.) Public Library; Lisa Goldstein, Brooklyn (N.Y.) Public Library; Karen Keys, Queens (N.Y.) Public Library; Brenda Kilmer, Miami (Fla.) Dade College; Ellen Loughran, Hunter College of the CUNY, Brooklyn, N.Y.; Olivia Morales Geaghan, Hathaway Brown School, Shaker Heights, Ohio; Mary Anne Nichols, Kent (Ohio) State University; Shilo J.M. Pearson, Chicago Public Library; Genevieve Sarnack, Berkley Carroll School, Brooklyn, N.Y.; Kate Toebbe, The Public Library of Cincinnati (Ohio) & Hamilton County; Sarah Elizabeth Wethern, Douglas County Public Library, Alexandria, Minn.; Paula Wiley, Baltimore County Public Library.
YALSA’s portfolio of book and media awards helps strengthen library services for and with teens by identifying quality, age appropriate resources for librarians and library workers to share with the teens in their communities.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has been the world leader in selecting books, videos and audio books for teens. For more information about YALSA or for lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists, or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail, email@example.com.