Landmark new textbook for studying the information society
For Immediate Release
1-800-545-2433 ext. 5418
CHICAGO — Covering every aspect of the new digital information environment from iPads and e-books to the future of information and how it will be controlled, “Information 2.0: New Models of Information Production, Distribution and Consumption,” published by Facet Publishing and available through Neal-Schuman Publishers, is a landmark textbook for students studying the information society. Author Martin De Saulles provides a comprehensive and cutting-edge guide to what’s happening, ideal for introducing students and other readers to why and how information professionals can have a pivotal role in this new landscape. Drawing on international case studies and current trends, it explores the fundamental changes in the four core areas of information production, storage, distribution and consumption, encouraging readers to understand and grapple with issues and topics including:
- Key information trends in the last 15 years, such as mass broadband and mobile technology;
- The rise of grassroots information production in social media, open access publishing and the storage of information in the cloud;
- How informal, digital methods of information distribution like RSS and webcasting are threatening traditional stakeholders like libraries, publishers and newspapers;
- The reconfiguration of the relationships among software, hardware and content creation companies;
- Why we need a new information literacy, and the pivotal role of the information professional.
Dr. De Saulles is a principal lecturer at the University of Brighton, UK. He has worked in the information and technology sectors for 20 years as a researcher, analyst, entrepreneur, writer and academic. He maintains a blog on technology issues.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Founded in 1976 by Patricia Glass Schuman and John Vincent Neal, Neal-Schuman Publishers, now an imprint of ALA Publishing, publishes professional books for librarians, archivists, and knowledge managers. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5418 or email@example.com. Instructors interested in adopting this textbook can request an exam copy through the Neal-Schuman website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.