Building and managing e-book collections
For Immediate Release
1-800-545-2433 ext. 5418
CHICAGO — Beginning with a short history of e-books and a review of the e-book publishing industry, “Building and Managing E-Book Collections: A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians,” published by Neal-Schuman Publishers, provides a thorough treatment of collection development issues, including the selection process and development policies, the use of approval plans, patron-driven acquisition and practical solutions for creating e-book collection policies. Editor Richard Kaplan and his contributors address such topics as budgeting, licensing, cataloging and selection and technical and access services, including:
- E-book purchasing models;
- File formats and publisher/aggregator e-book platforms;
- An examination of display devices (e-readers);
- Best practices in cataloging e-books to include metadata;
- Insight on incorporating value-added features such as adding excerpts from the text, book covers and links to related resources;
- Guidance on library Web page and online catalog access and marketing e-book collections through social media;
- Assessment and evaluation strategies through circulation statistics, print collection selection and usage and user satisfaction;
- Case studies from a variety of school, public and academic libraries.
Kaplan is the dean of library and learning resources at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. He has overseen the conversion of the college library and two branch campus libraries into a predominantly electronic collection. He has more than 30 years' experience, also working in libraries at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Buffalo (SUNY). He has been published in the Journal of the Medical Library Association, Medical Reference Services Quarterly and the Journal of Library Administration.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Founded in 1976 by Patricia Glass Schuman and John Vincent Neal, Neal-Schuman Publishers, now an imprint of ALA Publishing, publishes professional books for librarians, archivists, and knowledge managers. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5418 or firstname.lastname@example.org.