Refresh your library’s existing teen services with YALSA’s pre-Midwinter workshop
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO — Find out how you can give your library’s standard teen services an easy-to-implement boost at YALSA’s Innovations in Essential Teen Services half-day workshop from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 20, prior to the ALA Midwinter Meeting, in Dallas. Join YALSA for easy updates on providing readers’ advisory, homework help, teen space design, promoting and developing literacy skills and more!
Participants in this half-day institute will learn:
- How to involve teens in creating educational content;
- How to teach teens the skills they need to manage their online image;
- How to use QR Codes and Microsoft’s Kinect to motivate and engage teens;
- How to use outcome-based evaluations to assess the 21st century skills of teens;
- How to use and customize New York Public Library’s open-source homework app for your school or library;
- How to create affordable, functional spaces for teens.
Speakers include leading YA and school librarians such as:
- Linda Braun, Libraries and Educators Online;
- Shauntee Burns, New York Public Library;
- Kim Bolan Cullin, consultant, Kim Bolan and Associates;
- Kelly Czarnecki, ImaginOn: Charlotte-Mecklenburg (N.C.) Library;
- Sarah Ludwig, Hamden (Conn.) Hall Country Day School;
- Katherine Trouern-Trend, Hartford (Conn.) Public Library;
- Kathie Weinberg, Bethesda (Md.) Library.
Registration for this half-day event costs $89 for student members and $129 for all others. Refreshments are included.This event counts as four contact hours for your continuing education. Attendees who wish to receive a certificate for their records can email Eve Gaus at email@example.com after the event.
You do not have to attend ALA's Midwinter Meeting to attend this event. If you want to attend the workshop without attending Midwinter, please download this form (PDF), skip Section I and send to: 568 Atrium Dr., Vernon Hills, IL 60061.
If you plan to attend Midwinter, you can add the institute to your registration. To add the institute to an existing registration, Call ALA Registration at 1-800-974-3084 and ask to add a workshop or special event to your existing registration; (2) Online: Add an event to your existing registration by clicking this Midwinter Registration link. Use your log in and password to access your existing Midwinter registration and add events in the “Your Events” section (screen 6). Then simply check out and pay for the events you’ve added.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has been the world leader in selecting books, videos and audiobooks for teens. For more information about YALSA or for lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists, or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.