Applications due Dec. 1 for YALSA member awards and grants
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), offers more than $90,000 in grants and awards each year to its members to travel to ALA conferences, to support collection development, to honor outstanding contributions to young adult librarianship, to conduct research and more. YALSA members may apply for any of the following awards and grants by Dec 1, 2011 (application forms and directions can be found online):
- Baker & Taylor/YALSA Conference Grants This grant gives a YALSA member who has never attended ALA Annual Conference up to $1,000 to attend next year’s event in Anaheim, Calif. Up to two grants awarded.
- BWI/YALSA Collection Development Grants This grant provides public librarians with up to $1,000 to improve their young adult collections. Up to two grants awarded.
- YALSA/Greenwood Publishing Group Service to Young Adults Achievement Award This $2,000 award recognizes the national contributions of a YALSA member who has demonstrated unique and sustained devotion to the profession.
- MAE Award for Best Literature Program for Teens This award honors a YALSA member who developed an outstanding reading or literature program for young adults. The award provides $500 to the winner and an additional $500 to the winner's library.
- Frances Henne/VOYA/YALSA Research Grant This grant provides $1,000 in seed money for small-scale research projects that respond to YALSA’s research agenda.
- Great Books Giveaway Each year, the YALSA office receives more than 1,500 books, audiobooks and other materials for review. YALSA and cooperating publishers give the materials to libraries in need. The estimated value of this collection is more than $40,000.
- National Library Legislative Day Stipend This stipend enables five qualified recipients to receive up to $1,000 to attend ALA’s 2012 National Library Legislative Day, which will be held in Washington, D.C., April 23-24, 2012.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has been the world leader in selecting books, videos and audiobooks for teens. For more information about YALSA or for lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists, or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org