Write now, right now for Library Worklife
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO - Interesting people, programs and ideas are needed as contributors to Library Worklife. Distributed monthly by the American Library Association-Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA), Library Worklife: HR E-News for Today's Leaders covers issues that are important to all library employees, including work/life balance, salaries and benefits, career advancement and training.
Writing for Library Worklife is easy! Just submit an article that’s 200 to 1,200 words long. (This blurb is about 300 words – piece of cake!) Articles longer than 1,200 words may be accepted by arrangement with the editor.
Articles can be written in almost any style, from humorous pieces to research. Editorials, individual profiles, excerpts from speeches, and reviews of human resources-related publications are also accepted. Having your article published in Library Worklife is a great way to boost your résumé AND share your innovative ideas with thousands of other ALA members.
The possible topics are endless. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- “I did this fabulous thing for my staff"
- New organizational structures that work
- Interesting data collection techniques for demonstrating library and staff value
- What you're planning for staff development day
- I want to tell you about this incredible staff member…
- “No one ever told me my job would include…”
- I have a second job because…
- Ways to motivate employees and improve morale
- How your library is doing more with less
- People and programs that are making a positive impact on libraries
- Ways to increase diversity in the workplace
- Tips for dealing with difficult people and challenging situations
- How to provide training on a shoestring budget
- Ways to reduce stress
- Examples of outstanding mentoring
- How technology has changed your job
- Innovative perks that libraries offer to employees (massages? work-out facilities?)
- How continuing education has paid off for you
- Ways to improve teamwork
Share your experiences, successes, and challenges at work. For details on how to submit articles to Library Worklife, visit http://ala-apa.org/newsletter/call-for-submissions or email the editor, Lorelle Swader, at firstname.lastname@example.org.