ASCLA encourages member participation in newly-formed interest groups
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO — Members of both ALA and the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) are invited to become members of newly established interest groups within the association and make a difference in the library profession.
ASCLA’s membership represents four core areas of library service: state library agencies; library agencies and individuals providing library materials and service to populations with special needs, such as those with sensory, physical, health or behavioral conditions or those who are incarcerated or detained; library cooperatives; and independent librarians and consultants who work outside of traditional library settings. Interest groups can plan conference programs, have discussion forums, prepare publications, sponsor preconferences and engage in other fun and professionally significant activities. More information about ASCLA’s interest groups can be found on the ASCLA website.
Since the restructuring of the association, several interest groups have been established and are now welcoming members from across ALA—you do not need to be an ASCLA member in order to join an interest group. To join, click on the group name below, which will take you to the group’s ALA Connect page. Once logged into Connect, on the group’s page, click “JOIN” on the right side.
- ICAN Consortium Management Discussion Interest Group
- ICAN (InterLibrary Cooperation & Networking) Collaborative Digitization Interest Group
- ICAN (InterLibrary Cooperation & Networking) Interlibrary Cooperation Interest Group
- ICAN (InterLibrary Cooperation & Networking) Physical Delivery Interest Group
- ILEX (Independent Librarians' Exchange) Interest Group
- LSSP (Librarans Serving Special Populations) Library Services to People with Visual or Physical Disabilities that Prevent Them from Reading Standard Print Interest Group
- LSSP Library Services to the Incarcerated and Detained
- LSSP Universal Access Interest Group
- SLA (State Library Agencies) Library Development Interest Group
- SLA/LSTA Coordinators Interest Group
New interest groups representing one of ASCLA’s core membership areas are always welcome. To create a group, an ASCLA member must start an e-petition and receive signatures from 10 ASCLA members. E-petitions can be started here (ALA login required). Two proposed interest groups are currently in need of petition signatures.
Interested in joining ASCLA to create a new interest group and to support the division’s important work? Add ASCLA to your ALA membership by visiting www.ala.org/membership or calling (800) 545-2433, option 5.