Nominating committee seeks candidates
For Immediate Release
The ALA 2012 Nominating Committee is soliciting nominees to run on the 2012 spring ballot for the offices of ALA president-elect and councilor-at-large.
The nominating committee will select two candidates to run for president-elect and no fewer than 50 candidates for the 33 at-large Council seats to be filled in the 2012 spring election.
The president-elect will serve a three-year term: as president-elect in 2012-2013, as president in 2013-2014 and as immediate past president in 2014-2015.
The councilors-at-large will serve three-year terms, beginning after the 2012 ALA Annual Conference and ending at the adjournment of the 2015 Annual Conference.
The ALA president and councilors also serve in corresponding roles in the ALA-Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA). Individuals considering ALA-APA office are encouraged to consult with their employer regarding any restrictions regarding lobbying activities or service on the governing body of a 501(c)6 organization.
Members who wish to make nominations should submit the following information: nominee name; present position; institution; address; telephone; fax; and email address. Self-nominations are encouraged. All potential nominees must complete the Potential Candidate Biographical Form available at https://www.alavote.org/nomination/2012users.html. Nominations and forms must be received no later than Aug. 12, 2011.
Nominations may be sent to any member of the 2012 Nominating Committee. Committee members are:
- Chair: Vivian Wynn, President, Wynn Library Consulting, Hermitage, TN. Email: email@example.com
- Carol Brey-Casiano, Information Resource Officer, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Pitts Diedrichs, Director of University Libraries, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. Email: email@example.com
- Allison Kaplan, Faculty Associate, University of Wisconsin SLIS, Madison, WI. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kent Oliver, Executive Director, Stark County District Library, Canton, OH. Email : email@example.com
- Patricia Smith, Executive Director, Texas Library Association, Austin, TX. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marcellus Turner, Executive Director, Jefferson County Public Library, Lakewood, CO. Email: email@example.com
- Mary Elizabeth (Ma’lis) Wendt, Brooklyn, NY. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sha Li Zhang, Asst. Director for Collection & Technical Services, University of North Carolina Jackson Library, Greensboro, NC. Email: email@example.com
To encourage diversity and leadership development, the committee will refrain from nominating any current councilors for election to another term. However, the committee encourages all current councilors who wish to continue their service to the association to file as petition candidates. Petitions are available from Lois Ann Gregory-Wood, Council Secretariat, ALA, 50 E. Huron, Chicago, IL 60611, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or during the 2011 Annual Conference or 2012 Midwinter Meeting. Petitions require 25 signatures for names to be included on the 2012 ballot. Online petitions may also be created by going to https://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=Home&Template=/Security/Login.cfm.