YALSA names 2011 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
SAN DIEGO — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2011 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults (PPYA). The list, drawn from 192 official nominations, is presented annually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. The complete list of 99 titles, including annotations, can be found at www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists/poppaper.
- Thrillers & Killers: May cause anxiety… don’t read at home alone.
- What’s Cooking?: Tasty reads to fill your belly and warm your soul.
- What If…: It’s the end of the world as we know it.
- Zombies, Werewolves & Things with Wings: Because vampires suck.
The committee also selected the following titles as its Top Ten list:
- Anderson, M.T. “Burger Wuss.” Candlewick, 2008.
- Kincy, Karen. “Other.” Flux, 2010.
- The Manga University Culinary Institute. "The Manga Cookbook." Illus. by Chihiro Hattori. Manga University, 2007.
- Mecum, Ryan. “Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your…Brains.” How, 2008.
- Ross, Campbell. “Shadow Eyes.” Illus. by Campbell Ross. SLG, 2010.
- Shusterman, Neal. “Unwind.” Simon & Schuster, 2009.
- Smith, Cynthia Leitich. “Tantalize." Candlewick, 2008.
- Weingarten, Lynn. “Wherever Nina Lies." Point, 2010.
- Westerfield, Scott. "Leviathan." Illus. by Keith Thompson. Simon Pulse, 2010.
- Wooding, Chris. "Malice." Illus. by Dan Chernett. Scholastic, 2009.