YALSA names 2011 Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults
For Immediate Release
SAN DIEGO — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2011 Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults list. The list for those ages 12-18 is drawn from the previous two years of spoken-word releases and presented annually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. The full list can be viewed at www.ala.org/yalsa/audiobooks.
The 2011 Amazing Audiobooks list, composed of 31 fiction titles and one nonfiction, features recordings covering a wide range of interests for young adults from humor to historical fiction, romance to reality, along with a number of science fiction and fantasy offerings. While not all titles will appeal to every teen listener, there is a nice balance of titles that will appeal to listeners from across YALSA’s service age range.
In addition to the full list, the committee chose the following recordings as its top 10:
- “The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had” by Kristin Levine, read by Kirby Heyborne. Listening Library, 2010.
- “Dreamdark Silksinger” by Lani Taylor, read by Cassandra Campbell. Brilliance Audio, 2009.
- “Finnikin of the Rock” by Melina Marchetta, read by Jeffrey Cummings. Brilliance Audio. 2010,
- “The Knife of Never Letting Go” by Patrick Ness, read by Nick Podehl. Brilliance Audio, 2010.
- “Muchacho” by Louanne Johnson, read by Ozzie Rodriguez. Listening Library, 2009.
- “One Crazy Summer” by Rita Garcia Williams, read by Sisi Aisha Johnson. Recorded Books, 2010.
- “Precious” by Sapphire, read by Bahni Turpin. Random House, 2009.
- “Rapture of the Deep” by L. A. Meyer read by Katherine Kellgren. Listen and Live Audio, 2010.
- “The Rock and the River” by Kekla Magoon, read by Dion Graham. Brilliance Audio, 2010.
- “Will Grayson, Will Grayson” by John Green and David Levithan, read by MacLeod Andrews and Nick Podehl. Brilliance Audio, 2010.