RUSA’s 2011 Outstanding Reference Sources list
For Immediate Release
SAN DIEGO — The Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) has announced its selection for the 2011 Outstanding Reference Sources.
The Outstanding Reference Sources list of titles identifies the most important reference publications for small and medium-sized public and academic libraries published in a given year. The publication of this list began in 1958 and now also includes outstanding electronic resources.
This year’s titles were selected by RUSA’s Outstanding Reference Sources Committee, including members Deborah Katz, chair, Washington University Libraries; Chaunacey Dunklee, Fullerton (Calif.) Public Library; Cynthia Dudenhöffer, Smiley Memorial Library, Fayette, Mo.; Patricia L. Gregory Ph.D., Pius XII Memorial Library, St. Louis; Patrick Wall, University City (Mo.) Public Library; Elinor Appel, North Seattle Community College; Claire Murata, Shoreline (Wash.) Community College; Stephen Marvin, West Chester University of Pennsylvania ; Danise G. Hoover, Hunter College Library; Curtis Ferree, Fairfield University and Anne-Marie Davis, University of Washington.
The 2011 winners are:
- “The Oxford Companion to the Book” Michael F. Suarez, S.J. and H.R. Woudhuysen, eds. 2 vols. Oxford, 2010. (9780198606536)
- “Encyclopedia of Identity” Ronald L. Jackson II, ed. 2 vols. Sage, 2010. (9781412951531)
- “Encyclopedia of Geography” Barney Warf, ed. 6 vols. Sage, 2010. (9781412956970)
- “The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome” Michael Gagarin, ed. 7 vols. Oxford, 2010. (9780195170726)
- “The Encyclopedia of Religion in America” Charles H. Lippy and Peter W. Williams, eds. 4 vols. CQ Press, 2010. (9780872895805)
- “Off Broadway Musicals, 1910 – 2007: Casts, Credits, Songs, Critical Reception and Performance Data of More Than 1,800 Shows” Dan Dietz, ed. 1 vol. McFarland. 2010. (9780786433995)
- “Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion” Joanne B. Eicher, ed. 10 vols. Oxford, 2010. (9780195377330)
- “Berg Fashion Library” <http://www.bergfashionlibrary.com/> Oxford, 2010.
- “Chronology of the Evolution-Creationism Controversy” Randy Moore, ed., et. al. 1 vol. Greenwood. 2009. (9780313362873)
- “The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace” Nigel Young, ed. 4. vols. Oxford. 2010. (9780195334685)
- “21st Century Economics A Reference Handbook” Rhona C. Free, ed. 2 vols. Sage. 2010. (9781412961424)
- “Encyclopedia of Political Theory” Mark Bevir, ed. 3 vols. Sage. 2010. (9781412958653)
- “Encyclopedia of Group Processes & Intergroup Relations” John M. Levine and Michael A. Hogg, eds. 2 vols. Sage. 2010. (9781412942089)
The Reference and User Services Association, a division of the American Library Association, represents librarians and library staff in the fields of reference, specialized reference, collection development, readers’ advisory and resource sharing. RUSA is the foremost organization of reference and information professionals who make the connections between people and the information sources, services, and collection materials they need. Not a member, but interested in discounted registration rates on conference, preconferences and other events? Join, renew or add RUSA to your ALA membership at www.ala.org/membership. Learn more about the association at www.ala.org/rusa.