ALA 2015 Strategic Plan outlines key goals, objectives for the future
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO – Members attending the 2011 Midwinter Meeting, San Diego (Jan. 7-11) can pick up a brochure that outlines the ALA 2015 Strategic Plan by visiting the ALA Press Office and the membership information kiosk at the ALA store. ALA Executive Board Members will also discuss the plan at committee meetings during the conference.
ALA 2015 includes the strategic goals and objectives identified for the next five years, and sets priorities for ALA that will strengthen libraries, the profession, and the public’s access to information.
The vision contained in the plan is simple:
“ALA builds a world where libraries, both physical and virtual, are central to lifelong discovery and learning and everyone is a library user.”
The goals of the Association, as outlined in the plan, are:
- ALA equips and leads advocates for libraries, library issues and the library profession, and plays a key role in formulating legislation, policies and standards that affect library and information services.
- ALA promotes excellence and diversity in the library field.
- ALA provides leadership in the transformation of libraries and library services in a dynamic and increasingly global digital information environment.
- ALA provides an environment in which all members, regardless of location or position, have the opportunity to participate in, contribute to, and benefit from engagement in their association.
- ALA operates effectively, efficiently, creatively and in a socially responsible fashion to accomplish its mission.
For each goal, a series of objectives are outlined that will help guide the association as it develops strategies to achieve these goals over the next five years. The brochure also outlines the seven key action areas identified as guiding principles for investment of energies and resources, they are:
- Equitable Access to Information and Library Services
- Education and Lifelong Learning
- Intellectual Freedom
- Advocacy for Libraries and the Profession
- Organizational Excellence
Thousands of members were involved in development of the ALA 2015 Strategic Plan. In spring 2009, 9,000 members responded to a survey, open to all members, which asked their thoughts on ALA’s priorities and performance. Over the course of a year, more than a thousand members and non members participated in forty forums held with Chapters and other affiliated groups. An environmental scan was also conducted, which gathered information on societal, technological, educational and economic trends that will impact libraries, librarians and ALA over the next decade.
The plan was initially developed by the ALA Executive Board and division and round table leaders, then reviewed by ALA Council members, ALA, division and round table committees and boards, ALA Chapters and affiliate groups. Their comments and suggestions were incorporated into the plan, along with comments and suggestions from nearly a thousand members. The plan was adopted by ALA Council in June 2010. At each step, further modifications helped focus and refine the plan to its final version.
For more information on the 2015 Strategic Plan, see www.ala.org/2015strategicplan.