Nomination deadline approaching for 2011 reference and user services achievement awards
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO—The Dec. 15 nomination deadline is quickly approaching for the 2011 achievement awards and conference travel grants offered by the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA).
RUSA, which represents librarians and information service professionals in reference, collection development, readers advisory, genealogy, resource sharing and many other related fields, is accepting nominations for the following 2011 awards. The deadline for all nominations is Dec. 15, 2010, with the exception of the BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award, which now has a deadline of Jan. 31, 2011. Award criteria, nomination forms and instructions for submissions are available at each of the award’s webpages, which can be accessed by clicking on the award names below.
Awards for Individuals and Groups for Professional Achievement
- The ABC-CLIO Online History Award is a biennial award that recognizes the accomplishments of a person or a group of people producing (1) a freely available online historical collection, or (2) an online tool tailored for the purpose of finding historical materials or (3) an online teaching aid stimulating creative historical scholarship. Sponsored by ABC-CLIO; $2,500 prize and a citation.
- The BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship is presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to business librarianship. Sponsored by Gale Cengage Learning; $3,000 prize and a citation.
- The Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Library Services is given to a library or library system for developing an imaginative and unique resource to meet patrons' reference needs. Sponsored by Gale Cengage Learning; $3,000 prize and a citation.
- The Genealogical Publishing Company Award is presented to a librarian, library or publisher who is a RUSA member and recognizes professional achievement in historical reference and research librarianship. Sponsored by Genealogical Publishing Company; $1,500 prize and a citation.
- The Isadore Gilbert Mudge Award honors an individual who has made a distinguished contribution to reference librarianship. Sponsored by Gale Cengage Learning; $5,000 prize and a citation.
- The John Sessions Memorial Award recognizes a library or library system which has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and by doing so has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States. Supported by the Department of Professional Employees, AFL-CIO; the winner receives a plaque.
- The Louis Shores Award recognizes an individual reviewer, group, editor, review medium or organization for excellence in book reviewing and other media for libraries. The winner receives a citation.
- The Margaret E. Monroe Library Adult Services Award recognizes a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services. The winner receives a citation.
- The Reference Service Press Award recognizes the most outstanding article published in RUSQ during the preceding two-volume year. Sponsored by Reference Service Press; $2,500 prize and a plaque.
- The Virginia Boucher/OCLC Distinguished ILL Librarian Award is given to an individual for his or her outstanding professional achievement, leadership and contributions to interlibrary loan and document delivery. Sponsored by OCLC; $2,000 prize and a citation.
- The Zora Neale Hurston Award honors an individual RUSA member who has demonstrated leadership in promoting African American literature. Sponsored by HarperCollins; the winner receives $1,250 supporting travel to the ALA Annual Conference, a plaque, tickets to the Literary Tastes Breakfast, tickets to the FOLUSA Author Tea and a set of Hurston’s books in print with HarperCollins at the time of the award.
Travel Grants to ALA Annual Conference
- The BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award presents $1,000 to a student enrolled in an ALA accredited master's degree program to fund travel to the ALA Annual Conference. The nomination deadline has been extended to Jan. 31, 2011.
- The Morningstar Public Librarian Support Award, sponsored by Morningstar, Inc., offers $1,000 to support the attendance at Annual Conference of a public librarian who has performed outstanding business reference service and who requires financial assistance to attend the conference.
- The STARS/Atlas Systems Mentoring Award offers $1,000 to fund Annual Conference travel expenses for a library practitioner who is new to the field of interlibrary loan/document delivery or electronic reserves and has daily, hands-on involvement in the areas of borrowing, lending, document delivery, electronic reserves, material delivery or resource sharing.
RUSA also offers the BRASS Emerald Research Grant, which consists of two $5,000 awards presented to individuals seeking support to conduct research in business librarianship. The deadline to apply for these grants is also Dec. 15, 2010.
More information about these awards, including nominating instructions, can be found at the RUSA Awards webpage. Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented. Questions about these awards should be directed to the committee chairperson—access committee contact information by logging in at www.ala.org, then accessing the RUSA roster webpage—or to the RUSA headquarters staff.
The Reference and User Services Association, a division of the American Library Association, represents librarians and library staff in the fields of reference, specialized reference, collection development, readers advisory and resource sharing. RUSA is the foremost organization of reference and information professionals who make the connections between people and the information sources, services, and collection materials they need. Not a member, but interested in discounted registration rates on conference, preconferences and other events? Join, renew or add RUSA to your ALA membership at www.ala.org/membership. Learn more about the association at www.ala.org/rusa.