Create the ultimate teen-friendly library with YALSA's pre-Midwinter institute
For Immediate Release
CHICAGO — Today’s teens make up one of the largest generations in U.S. history. They’re tech-savvy, smart, curious and more diverse than previous generations. They’re today’s customers and tomorrow’s voters. So how do you build a library experience that appeals to teens and turns them into regular library users? And how do we, as teen services librarians, get the entire library to help us do that?
The answers to these important questions can be found at YALSA’s pre-Midwinter workshop, Teens and the Whole Library Experience, on Jan. 7, prior to the ALA Midwinter Meeting, in San Diego. Participants in this full-day institute will learn:
- Strategies for building partnerships with other library departments, such as reference or circulation, to create a more teen-friendly environment;
- Tools and tactics to gain funding and win administrative support to improve teen library services;
- Ideas for cross-departmental services and programming;
- How to tap youth participation to build a stronger library program.
Registration for this all-day event costs $195 for YALSA members, $235 for ALA members and $285 for nonmembers. Lunch is included. A host of YA experts will lead these discussions, including Paige Battle, Linda Braun, Christie Gibrich, Penny Johnson, Jennifer Lawson, Teri Lesesne, Sara Ryan and Ray Stark.
You do not need to be registered for the ALA Midwinter Meeting to participate in the Friday events. To register only for the "Teen Services & the Whole Library Experience" Midwinter institute, fill out this registration form (skip Section I) and either mail or fax it to 1 (800) 521-6017 or mail it to: ALA Registration and Housing Headquarters; 568 Atrium Dr.
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
If you have already registered, you can add this workshop in one of the following ways:
- Contact Nichole Gilbert at email@example.com or 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 4387, to reserve a ticket for the institute;
- Call ALA Registration at 1 (800) 974-3084 and ask to add a workshop or special event to your existing registration;
- Use the online system to add an event to your existing registration by clicking this Midwinter Registration link. Use your log in and password to access your existing Midwinter registration and add events in the “Your Events” section (screen 6). Then simply check out and pay for the events you’ve added.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has been the world leader in selecting books, videos and audiobooks for teens. For more information about YALSA or for lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists or contact the YALSA office by phone, (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.