ALTAFF and Nordstrom award Books for Babies matching grants
For Immediate Release
PHILADELPHIA – In partnership with Nordstrom, the Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has awarded grants of $500 each to match $1,075 raised by selected Friends of the Library groups, libraries and other nonprofit organizations that purchased Books for Babies kits from ALTAFF. A total of 3,575 English kits and 625 Spanish kits will be distributed to parents of newborns through these grants.
The matching grant recipients are:
- Eugene Public Library, Eugene, Ore.
- Good Samaritan Physician Services Family Practice, Lebanon, Pa.
- Chelsea District Library, Chelsea, Mich.
- Friends of the Morgan Hill Library, Morgan Hill, Calif.
- Friends of Platt Library, Woodland Hills, Calif.
- Franklin County Public Library, Eastpoint, Fla.
- Friends of the Tualatin Public Library, Tualatin, Ore.
- Impact Services Corporation, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Baker County Library District, Baker City, Ore.
- B.F. Jones Memorial Library, Aliquippa, Pa.
- Friends of the Library, Berwyn, Ill.
- Hesperia Friends of the Library, Hesperia, Calif.
- Leesburg Public Library, Leesburg, Fla.
- Huntington Woods Library, Huntington Woods, Mich.
- Putnam County Public Library, Greencastle, Ind.
- Smart Start of Pender County, Burgaw, N.C.
Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents of newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a board book for baby, baby’s first library card and a variety of brochures with reading tips and early literacy information from nationally recognized educational organizations. Organizations such as Friends of the library groups, women’s clubs and junior leagues purchase Books for Babies packets. Groups often supplement the packets with information about local resources, including library locations and contact information, as well as details about lapsit and preschool story hours.
In 2008 and 2009, nearly 10,000 Books for Babies kits were distributed to newborns and their parents through a partnership with Nordstrom, one of the nation’s leading fashion specialty retailers with 203 stores located in 28 states. The early childhood literacy kits were purchased by 40 organizations across the country that received matching grants. The program was so successful that Nordstrom donated another $10,000 to continue the matching grants for 2010.
For more information about purchasing Books for Babies kits, visit http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/altaff/products_services/booksforbabies.
ALTAFF is a division of the American Library Association (ALA) with approximately 3,500 Friends of the Library, Trustee, Foundation and individual members and affiliates representing hundreds of thousands of library supporters. Begun in early 2009, the new division brings together Trustees, Friends, and Foundation members into a partnership that unites the voices of citizens for libraries to create a powerful force for libraries in the 21st century. For more information about ALTAFF, please visit www.ala.org/altaff or contact Jillian Kalonick at (312) 280-2161 or email@example.com.