YALSA chooses 2010-2012 Teens' Top Ten book groups
For Immediate Release
The Teens’ Top Ten is an ongoing project in which publishers of young adult books provide copies of their recent titles to teen book discussion groups in libraries. In exchange, teen readers evaluate books from more than 30 participating publishers.
The 16 libraries will also choose the nominees for the Teens’ Top Ten, in which teens nationwide voice their choice for their favorite books each year. This year’s vote is open now through Sept. 17 at www.ala.org/teenstopten. The results will be announced in a webcast during Teen Read Week, Oct. 17-23.
The 2010-2012 official book groups begin their terms in November 2010. They are:
- Bethesda Library Teen Reads, Bethesda (Md.) Library, advised by Kathie Weinberg
- BHS Book Club, Barrington (Ill.) High School, advised by Janet Anderson
- Book and Bag/Book and Bagel, Worthington (Ohio) Libraries, advised by Ann Pechacek
- Bookhype, Perry Branch Library/Perry High School, Gilbert, Ariz., advised by Allison Burke
- Bookmarked, Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy, Jefferson, La., advised by Elizabeth Kahn
- The Bookmarks, Duxbury (Mass.) Free Library, advised by Ellen Snoeyenbos
- Brunswick High School (Me.) Book Group, Curtis Memorial Library, advised by Melissa Orth
- Bothell/Kenmore (Wash.) Libraries Teen Advisory Board, advised by Catherine Schaeffer
- CPL Teen Reads, Coralville (Iowa) Public Library, advised by Karen Stierler
- HHS Reads!, Holman (Wisc.) High School, advised by Erin Foster
- Mukilteo Library Teen Advisory Board, Sno-Isle Libraries, Mukilteo (Wash.) Library, advised by Kathleen Fernandes
- The MVHS Book Club & The MVHS Book Club of Manliness,Mountain View (Calif.) High School Library advised by Benjamin Lundholm
- The Sneak Peek Reviewers Club, San Leandro (Calif.) Main Library, advised by Christianne Selig
- Spruill Oaks Teen Group, Northeast/Spruill Oaks Library, Johns Creek, Ga., advised by Benjamin Scott and Lucinda Rittenhouse
- STAC-M, Student Advisory Club for Media, Lake Norman Charter School, Huntersville, N.C., advised by Kathy Cadden
- Young Adult Advisory Councils, Johnson County Library, Shawnee Mission, Kans., advised by Kate Pickett and Cari Albarelli
YALSA’s Teens’ Top Ten Committee chooses new groups every two years. YALSA's YA Galley Committee is Chair Jennifer Barnes, Rebecca Jackman, Amy Fiske, Carrie Kausch, Rachel Kitzmann and Lisa Martinez.
Publishers interested in participating in the Teens’ Top Ten can contact Nichole Gilbert, YALSA program officer for events and conferences, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 4387.
For more information on the Teens’ Top Ten, including previous winners and tools for teachers and librarians, please visit www.ala.org/teenstopten.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has been the world leader in selecting books, videos and audio books for teens. For more information about YALSA or for lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists, or contact the YALSA office by phone at 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 4390, or by e-mail at email@example.com.