PHILADELPHIA – The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has recognized 14 Friends of the Library groups with Best Friends Awards.
ALTAFF’s Best Friends Awards are given to Friends groups for outstanding publicity and marketing materials that promote the group and its programs and projects. The awards do not evaluate the type or scope of Friends programs; rather, they evaluate the quality of the print and electronic materials used to promote Friends programs. Award categories include newsletters, membership materials, advocacy materials, websites, program publicity, fundraisers, special project publicity and book sales.
Winning groups receive a certificate and are recognized in ALTAFF’s newsletter, The Voice. Winning materials are posted on ALTAFF’s website at www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/altaff/friends/grantsawards/bestfriends.
The following Friends groups were named 2009 Best Friends Award winners:
• Friends of the Albert Carlton-Cashiers Community Library (Cashiers, N.C.)
• Friends of Bosler Library (Carlisle, Pa.)
• Friends of Fitchburg (Wis.) Library
• Friends of the Irvington (N.Y.) Library
• Friends of the Johnson County (Kan.) Library
• Friends of the Library, Montgomery County (Md.), Inc.
• Friends of Little Tokyo Branch Library (Los Angeles)
• Friends of the Millbrae (Calif.) Library
• Friends of the Nederland (Colo.) Community Library
• Friends of Rains County Public Library (Yantis, Texas)
• Friends of Rock Valley College Library (Rockford, Ill.)
• Friends of St. Thomas (V.I.) Public Libraries
• Friends of the San Benito County (Calif.) Free Library
• Friends of Westlake (Ohio) Porter Public Library
ALTAFF is a division of ALA with approximately 5,000 Friends of the Library, Trustee, Foundation and individual members and affiliates representing hundreds of thousands of library supporters. Begun in early 2009, the new division brings together Trustees and Friends into a partnership that unites the voices of citizens for libraries to create a powerful force for libraries in the 21st century. For more information about ALTAFF, please contact Jillian Kalonick at (312) 280-2161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.