ALSC announces exceptional Web sites for children
ALSC Program Officer
For Immediate Release
August 25, 2009
Chicago -- The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association, has added more recommended Web sites to Great Web Sites for Kids ( www.ala.org/greatsites), its online resource containing hundreds of links to commendable Web sites for children.
Great Web Sites for Kids (GWS) features links to Web sites of interest to children 14 years of age and younger, organized into diverse subject headings from astronomy and space to zoos and aquariums, from games and entertainment to geography and maps. There is also a special section with sites of interest to parents, caregivers and teachers.
Members of the ALSC Great Web Sites for Kids Committee review potential sites for inclusion and vote on the sites to be included. They also regularly check the entire site to ensure currency and re-evaluate sites when necessary.
The newly added sites are:
- ABC Fast Phonics – http://www.abcfastphonics.com/
- Build Your Wild Self - http://www.buildyourwildself.com/
- Children's Literature Network – http://www.childrensliteraturenetwork.org/
- Click Magazine for Kids – http:// www.clickmagkids.com
- EPA Environmental Kids Club – http://www.epa.gov/kids/
- Funology – http:// www.funology.com
- InsideStory Flashcards – http://insidestoryflashcards.com/
- Meet Me at the Corner - http://www.meetmeatthecorner.org/
- NeoK12: Educational Videos and Lessons for K-12 School Kids - http://www.neok12.com/
- Online Spelling Program - http://www.spellingcity.com/
- Online Sunshine for Kids - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Kids/
- Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out – http://www.ourwhitehouse.org/
- Read Print – http://www.readprint.com/
- South Carolina Aquarium: Just 4 Kids - http://scaquarium.org/Kids/default.html
- Space Weather Center - http://www.spaceweathercenter.org/
- Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child - http://wrsi.com/pages/3312919.php
- Starchild: A Learning Center for Young Astronomers - http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov
- WayBack: US History for Kids - http://pbskids.org/wayback/summer/index.html
- Welcome to the Wonderful World of Joan Aiken – http://www.joanaiken.com/
- Windows to the Universe - http://www.windows.ucar.edu/windows.html
- Women's History Month (Library of Congress) - http://womenshistorymonth.gov/
Members of the 2009 Great Web Sites for Kids Committee are: Meagan Albright, co-chair, Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; Sharon Haupt, co-chair, San Luis Coastal Unified School District, San Luis Obispo, Calif.; Kimberly Knight, Arlington (Va.) Public Library; Diana McFarland, Brunswick, Maine; Carla Morris, Provo City (Utah) Library; Jacqueline Partch, Multnomah County Library, Portland, Ore.; Marilyn Sobotincic, Medina County (Ohio) District Library; and Terrell Young, Washington State University, Richland.
The complete listing of great sites with annotations and selection criteria can be found at