Contact: Megan McFarlane
For Immediate Release
April 7, 2009Ã Ã Ã
CHICAGO- In celebration of National Library Week, the American Library Association (ALA) will host a series of “Worlds connect @ your library” events in Second Life. “Worlds connect @ your library” is theme 2009 theme for National Library Week.
This year’s attractions and events in Second Life mark the second National Library Week to host “in-world” activities. Attractions open throughout National Library Week will include:
- An ALA / Information Island Archipelago Treasure Hunt. Visitors are invited Ã to explore the Information Island Chain while picking up fun and useful freebies along the way.
- A celebration of ALA Allied Professional Association’s (ALA-APA) National Library Workers Day, Tuesday, April 14. ALA Island will feature the Gallery of Library Stars, where visitors can pose for a picture and have it added to the gallery.
- Build-Your-Own-Tour of Libraries in Second Life. SL users can use the pictures on the ALA Island to visit different library locations throughout Second Life.
- A Youth Media Award art gallery. Visitors are invited to stop by the Lorlei Junot Gallery to check out this National Library Week art exhibit featuring cover art from Caldecott, Pura Belpré and Coretta Scott King award winners and honor medal recipients.
Also, during National Library Week, ALA staff members will be in Second Life to reach out and connect with SL users. Special events will include:
- 10 a.m. SLT, Monday, April 13 - Main Stage, ALA Island
Megan McFarlane, coordinator for the Campaign for America’s Libraries (Second Life avatar, Bunny Iwish), will host a talk on the fourth season of Step Up to the Plate @ your library. McFarlane will be on hand to discuss the 2009 season, which will focus on the history and diversity of our America’s national pastime, and to answer questions on promoting the program.
- 4 p.m. SLT, Tuesday, April 14 - Banned Books Week Town Square, ALA Island
Tina Coleman, ALA membership specialist (Second Life avatar, Kay Tairov), will moderate a book discussion of “The Watchmen.” The discussion will focus on the graphic novel and its impact on modern literature and pop culture.
- 6 p.m. SLT, Wednesday, April 15 - Main Stage, ALA Island
Joe Sanchez, author of “Library Technology Reports” and doctoral candidate in the School of Information at the University of Texas at Austin (Second Life avatar, North Lamar), will host a presentation titled “Implementing Second Life: Ideas, Challenges and Innovations.”
- 12 p.m. SLT, Thursday, April 16 - Salon Huron, ALA Island
Valerie Hawkins, ALA library reference specialist (Second Life avatar, ALALibraryVal Miles), will moderate a T.A.R.D.I.S (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) @ your library, a discussion of the world of the popular British science fiction show “Doctor Who.”
- 12 p.m. SLT, Friday, April 17 - Main Stage, ALA Island
Furthering promoting the theme of “connections,” Jenny Levine, internet development specialist & strategy guide, ITTS (Second Life avatar, Cielo Paris), will host a presentation on ALA Connect, ALA’s new social networking site.
The ALA Island/ALA Main Stage is located at 128, 107, 29.Ã In Second Life, teleport there directly: http://slurl.com/secondlife/ALA%20Island/128/107/29/
To learn more about Second Life, visit ALA’s Second Life wiki at http://wikis.ala.org/professionaltips/index.php/Second_Life.Ã For more information on National Library Week, visit the National Library Week Web page at www.ala.org/pio/nlw.Ã
The Campaign for America’s Libraries ( www.ala.org/@yourlibrary) is ALA’s public awareness campaign that promotes the value of libraries and librarians. Thousands of libraries of all types – across the country and around the globe - use the Campaign’s @ your library® brand. The Campaign is made possible in part by ALA’s Library Champions, corporations and foundations who advocate the importance of the library in American society.
Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã Ã