The first-ever print complement to the Creative Commons Certificate program
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — The figures are eye-opening: more than 1.6 billion works on 9 million websites are licensed under Creative Commons (CC). These materials constitute an extraordinarily rich repository for teaching, learning, sharing, and creative reuse. Knowing your way around CC will help you make the most of the Open Access (OA) and open educational resources (OER) movements. “Creative Commons for Educators and Librarians,” published by ALA Editions, provides in-depth coverage of CC licenses, open practices, and the ethos of the Commons. Inside readers will find guidance on:
- the layers and elements of CC licenses, with clear explanations on how they interact;
- reusing, revising, and remixing;
- how to acknowledge the underlying work in a remix;
- techniques for locating works in the public domain and communicating their value;
- supporting learners’ access to a wide array of open knowledge resources in primary, secondary, and higher education;
- assessing institutional policies for open education, plus advice on revising these policies;
- ways to adapt existing openly licensed materials in order to keep your institution’s knowledge base relevant and up to date;
- how to meet the open licensing requirements increasingly present in government and foundation grants and contracts; and
- hundreds of authoritative resources for additional learning.
Creative Commons is a global nonprofit organization that enables sharing and reuse of creativity and knowledge through the provision of free legal tools. Its legal tools help those who want to encourage reuse of their works by offering them for use under generous, standardized terms; those who want to make creative uses of works; and those who want to benefit from this symbiosis. The vision of CC is to help others realize the full potential of the internet. Learn more at creativecommons.org.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. ALA Editions and ALA Neal-Schuman publishes resources used worldwide by tens of thousands of library and information professionals to improve programs, build on best practices, develop leadership, and for personal professional development. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a growing range of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.