Reminder: Volunteer Form for ALA, Council, and Joint Committees closes September 30, 2019
For Immediate Release
Members are reminded that they must submit by September 30, 2019, if they would like to volunteer to serve on ALA, Council, or Joint Committees for the 2020-2022 term. Julius C. Jefferson, Jr., American Library Association (ALA) President-Elect, encourages members to volunteer to serve on ALA, Council, and Joint committees for the 2020-2022 term (beginning July 1, 2020). Serving on a committee provides members with leadership training, networking opportunities, and experience in working on specific association topics.
The online committee volunteer form (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/committees/volunteer/frm_vol) opened on Monday, July 15, 2019. To volunteer, please complete and submit the form electronically (be sure to select "ALA" in the drop-down menu on the main form). To be considered for the 2020-2022 term, forms must be submitted no later than September 30, 2019. Any forms received after this date will be considered for the next term (2021-2023).
President-Elect Jefferson will make committee appointments in consultation with both the Committee on Appointments (responsible for ALA and Joint committee appointments) and the Committee on Committees (responsible for Council committee appointments). Committee appointments will be completed by the ALA Midwinter Meeting in 2020, with notifications sent to appointed individuals in Spring 2020.
Volunteers are sought for the following ALA, Council, and Joint committees:
Committees of the Association
- American Libraries Advisory
- Chapter Relations
- Constitution & Bylaws
- Diversity, Literacy & Outreach Services Advisory (Office for)
- Human Resource Development & Recruitment Advisory (Office for)
- Information Technology Advisory
- Information Technology Policy Advisory (Office for)
- Membership Meetings
- Public & Cultural Programs Advisory
- Research & Statistics
- Rural, Native & Tribal Libraries of All Kinds
- Scholarship & Study Grants
- Training, Orientation & Leadership Development
Committees of Council
- Budget Analysis & Review Committee
- Committee on Diversity
- Committee on Education
- Committee on Legislation
- Committee on Library Advocacy
- Committee on Organization
- Committee on Professional Ethics
- Committee on the Status of Women in Librarianship
- Council Orientation Committee
- Intellectual Freedom Committee
- International Relations Committee
- Policy Monitoring Committee
- Public Awareness Committee
- Publishing Committee
- Resolutions Committee
The charge and composition of each committee can be found here.
In addition to ALA, Council, and Joint committees, you may also volunteer to serve on two subcommittees of the Committee on Diversity using the ALA volunteer form: the Diversity Research Grant Advisory Committee (seeking individuals with experience conducting a research project, including writing research proposals, budgets, conducting and analyzing research) and the Spectrum Advisory Committee (60% of the committee members should be alumni of the Spectrum Scholarship Program). Please note that ALA President-Elect Jefferson does not make these subcommittee appointments. These appointments are made by the ODLOS Advisory Committee Chair in consultation with outgoing subcommittee chairs and staff liaisons.
For technical assistance or for more information on the committee appointments process, contact Holly Robison, ALA Governance Associate, at email@example.com.