A new edition of Ross’s acclaimed business reference guide
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — “It reads as if you have an expert coach in business reference helping you each step of the way." That’s how Academic BRASS summarized “Making Sense of Business Reference: A Guide for Librarians and Research Professionals,” published by ALA Editions. For the new second edition Celia Ross, a past winner of the Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship, has revised and updated her guide to tackle even more “bizref” headscratchers related to investment and finance, consumer behavior and statistics, company, and industry research. In addition to general reference strategies in each chapter that give you the lay of the land, inside you’ll find:
- overviews of more than fifty databases for articles, company and industry, directories, consumer, international, or raw data;
- 33 real-life "Stumper" questions, all new for this edition, drawn from librarians in the field;
- why asking “who cares about this kind of question” reveals potential sources;
- techniques for applying reference interview techniques to business questions;
- advice on where to find the numbers for answering finance questions;
- expanded coverage of venture capital research and business information literacy;
- “Start Making Sense” suggestions for further skill-building; and
- questions to consider when building a bizref collection.
Ross is senior associate librarian at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business and the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship. She has gained business research experience in a number of settings, including a venture capital firm, a global consulting firm, and a large public library. She is a past chair of RUSA’s Business Reference & Services Section (BRASS) and the recipient of the 2014 Excellence in Business Librarianship Award.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. ALA Editions | ALA Neal-Schuman publishes resources used worldwide by tens of thousands of library and information professionals to improve programs, build on best practices, develop leadership, and for personal professional development. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a growing range of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.