CHICAGO – Thirty American Association of School Librarians (AASL) members have been awarded $750 travel grants to attend their first AASL national conference. Generously sponsored by Bound To Stay Bound Books, Inc. (BTSB), the grants will allow recipients to secure housing, transportation and/or registration for the 2019 AASL National Conference taking place Nov. 14-16, 2019, in Louisville, Ky.
Grant recipients include:
- Joanie Alexander, Rockcastle County High School, Mount Vernon, Ky.
- Carrie Allen, Cattaraugus-Allegany BOCES, Olean, N.Y.
- Anne Bozievich, Friendship Elementary School, Glen Rock, Pa.
- Chelsea Brantley, Nags Head Elementary School, Nags Head, N.C.
- Carrie Bresnehen, Jim Plain Elementary/Leander ISD, Leander, Texas
- Tracy Bulot, Press Elementary School, McKinney, Texas
- Victoria Calarco, Owasco Elementary School, Auburn, N.Y.
- Jessica Caldwell-Lehr, Canal Winchester High School, Canal Winchester, Ohio
- Mary Chappell, SY Jackson Elementary School, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Becca Chen, Antioch High School/Metro Nashville Public Schools, Antioch, Tenn.
- Cristin Dillard, Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE), Montgomery, Ala.
- Maria Flack, Showalter Middle School, Tukwila, Wash.
- Paul Flagg, Dunbar Elementary Magnet School, Tampa, Fla.
- Jacqueline Gregory, Metro Nashville Public Schools/Glenview Elementary, Nashville, Tenn.
- Janel Grider, Burnside Elementary, Burnside, Ky.
- Sally Helton, Pi Beta Phi Elementary School, Gatlinburg, Tenn.
- Sarah Hubbard, Elmore Park Middle/Bartlett City Schools, Bartlett, Tenn.
- Julie Jamieson, Flint Hill Elementary/Fort Zumwalt, Wentzville, Mont.
- Michelle Kenley, Sunset Elementary School, Brentwood, Tenn.
- Mitzi Mack, Young Middle Magnet School, Tampa, Fla.
- Jessica Moody, Olympus Junior High/Granite School District, Holladay, Utah
- Molly Moore, Beaumont Magnet Academy, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Kate Peterson, Helena High School, Helena, Mont.
- Kristina Pierce, Arcade Elementary School, Arcade, N.Y.
- Alice Robinson, West Babylon High School, West Babylon, N.Y.
- Kate Rojas, Walter M. Senkow Elementary School - Upper Darby School District, Glenolden, Pa.
- Wendy Sowden, Bethel School District, Puyallup, Wash.
- April Wallace, Pelham Park Middle School, Pelham, Ala.
- Mary Weaver, Carver Middle School, Chester, Va.
- Astreia Yates, Atwood McDonald Elementary School, Fort Worth, Texas
"At Bound To Stay Bound we recognize the value of the professional school librarian in our schools and take pride in being able to offer these grants to help further their knowledge and give them an opportunity to share their experiences with other professionals," said Bob Sibert of Bound To Stay Bound Books.
"AASL is so grateful to Bound To Stay Bound Books for its continuing partnership with AASL and support of our mission," said AASL President Mary Keeling. "We are delighted that BTSB is supporting 30 first-time AASL National Conference attendees as they travel to Louisville, KY, for a deep dive into the National School Library Standards. These school librarians will return to their schools with a deeper understanding of how the AASL National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries are being used to transform teaching and learning across our country."
The AASL National Conference, national.aasl.org, is the only national conference dedicated solely to the needs of school librarians and their roles as educational leaders. Those communicating about the national conference are encouraged to use the official hashtag, #aasl19.
For almost 100 years Bound To Stay Bound Books, www.btsb.com, has supplied children’s and young adult library books, both fiction and nonfiction, to school and public libraries. It provides books that stand the test of time in both content and durability and services exceeding your expectations.
The American Association of School Librarians, www.aasl.org, a division of the American Library Association (ALA), empowers leaders to transform teaching and learning.